Homemade tortoise table!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sheffield, UK
So instead of paying for a very expensive and relatively small store tort table. I decided to build my own. Having never constructed anything like this before it was a bit of a gamble but I think if looks good! :)

So first I got a board of outdoor treated wood cut into the strips as shown below. And a piece of treated thin wood cut up also.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378975992.339973.jpg

Then I joined the thin wood together to act as a joining for the edges and base:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378976098.907633.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378976118.789097.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378976145.757144.jpg

Then I fastened the sides to the joining wood and the base to the joining wood. Creating a square box.
Then I added to joining wood up the sides to make it more firm and from the (loads) of wood I had spare. I made a corner hide away. With hinged lids for access.

And here's the finished product :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1378976336.748736.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1378976370.664865.jpg

It's rather large sizing up to be 120cm long by 60cm wide. But I don't mind and it means more room for my tort :)

Cost me just under £50 to make as I had to buy everything to make it. Including screws.

But I think I saved myself a hell of a lot of cash. And it only took two evenings to make. I'm sure it could be done in one if you know what you're doing :)

Hope you all like it :)

It may need a few mods to get everything running smoothly so ill let you know :)

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK
Nerdy Mathsy Physicsy Guy with love for shelled warriors! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

graciebea

5 Year Member
That's really good! I want to make one myself, but I'm too worried I'll ruin it haha!:)

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Good job. I am going to attempt to build a bigger box for my tort
. Thanks for sharing

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
What are you going to use to cover the bare wood on the bottom?

I was told the black pond liner works well.

My first tort table was one of the zoomed ones...but the wood got nasty from the moisture because I didn't line the bottom.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Nice! Don't forget to line the bottom! I use heavy duty (contractor) trash bags and duct tape.... Super cheap and very effective!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TortForum mobile app

gieseygirly

5 Year Member
Ohio
Looks good. I use marine gloss varnish to waterproof all mine. Takes forever to dry and air the fumes out, but is well worth it.

gieseygirly said:
Looks good. I use marine gloss varnish to waterproof all mine. Takes forever to dry and air the fumes out, but is well worth it.

Could also use vinyl flooring tiles - I've used these before too and have had no problems. One of my enclosures is still lined with these.

PJDruce

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sheffield, UK
So after reading through the comments I went to the shop and bought some pond liner :)

I lined all of the bottom half of the table and I've filled it full of soil and plants and everything my tortoise needs :)

(Don't mind the blue micro fridge. It's being removed when I properly attach the light to the walls. :) )

Here is the final product :)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379680337.186546.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379680354.885210.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1379680388.859176.jpg

I've also planted some tortoise friendly plant seeds in the soil to see if they grow okay :) it can't hurt :)

Let me know what you think :)

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Paul Druce
Sheffield, UK
Nerdy Mathsy Physicsy Guy with love for shelled warriors! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

Status
Not open for further replies.