Homemade Tort Enclosure???

TennisGecko

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana USA
Thanks everyone :)
I think we finally know what to do, I'm going to get cement mixing trays or cat litter boxes ( don't know how many yet but will be very long and wide) I will buy how many I think I'll need and then build the wood around and under them then my grandpa is going to make a nice lid, and also it will be 2 stories!
Tell me if my idea is good,
I have a large closet in my room with nothing in it, it is Tall and long so I will measure it then look at how many cat litter boxes or cement trays will fit I'm going to try fit the whole closet length so it will be very long, I will have the lights and heat on the side then on the other side I will have a big enough hole for him to go down to his cool side, that room stays pretty worm anyway cause I have 7 tanks in there all ready, two with lights and 5 with heat pads, so I don't think the cool side will too freezing for him, what do you guys think?, also is it better to get the Uva Bulb or the Tube? What watts and what watts for the heat?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I think we finally know what to do, I'm going to get cement mixing trays or cat litter boxes ( don't know how many yet but will be very long and wide) I will buy how many I think I'll need and then build the wood around and under them then my grandpa is going to make a nice lid, and also it will be 2 stories!
I have a large closet in my room with nothing in it, it is Tall and long so I will measure it then look at how many cat litter boxes or cement trays will fit I'm going to try fit the whole closet length so it will be very long, I will have the lights and heat on the side then on the other side I will have a big enough hole for him to go down to his cool side, that room stays pretty worm anyway cause I have 7 tanks in there all ready, two with lights and 5 with heat pads, so I don't think the cool side will too freezing for him, what do you guys think?, also is it better to get the Uva Bulb or the Tube? What watts and what watts for the heat?
That sounds great! I like the two stories idea.
All UVB tube (and other bulbs emitting UVB) bulbs have UVA, and you can't only have UVA, so it's a good package :D
Thermometers or a temp gun will help you there. Play around with it until you get it just right!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
The ground and the tortsies in general :(
Puff, I really like your houses, they're pretty awesome! I can't do hardware, so those are really amazing little castles :D
Ok, I just wanted to clarify as I was confused. I did not see him ask how his tortoises looked - therefore, I was confused as to whether you were referring to the houses he was sharing or the tortoises.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Ok, I just wanted to clarify as I was confused. I did not see him ask how his tortoises looked - therefore, I was confused as to whether you were referring to the houses he was sharing or the tortoises.
No, just the torts :(
I'm sorry, I'm not very descriptive sometimes!

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
Here is a List of supplies Im getting tell me if Im Missing Something.
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hea...-catid-500011?var_id=36-14892&_t=pfm=category Will this work for just my lighting and heating needs? and what wattage?---
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hea...-catid-500011?var_id=36-21558&_t=pfm=category and this should fit the 100 Watt or 150 Watt and works fine?---
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hea...6-catid-500007?var_id=36-4501&_t=pfm=category Is it good to have this?---
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/hum...6-5176729/cat-36-catid-500012?_t=pfm=category Is this a good one to get?---
http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/sub...-catid-500013?var_id=36-15087&_t=pfm=category and im going to use Cypress and the Coco dirt mixed in which i already have---
Let me know if im missing anything its either i forgot or i already have it but the items listed above are the ones i want to know about.

puffy137

BTW you could make one huge tank from long sheets of thick styrofoam ,It sticks together very well with silicone sealant , Never tried that myself , but it would be water proof & light enough for cleaning purposes,

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
No you are quite right , I should have greased them up with coconut oil or given them a shower before they had their pictures taken , :):tort::tort::tort:
:D Sorry!! Your houses are really creative, I really like the colors and patterns.
Your torts are adorable! and I totally get the dust now, it can get a but dry here too :( :)