Homemade Tort Enclosure???

TennisGecko

Location (City and/or State)
Indiana USA
My Mom is spectical about a Homemade Tort Enclosure, I want to make one out of wood but she think it will be a decision Because of the smell when it goes to the bathroom, is this true or would it be fine, if not then what should i do im afaid to get a tank like she wants me too cause of humidity and space.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
My russian poops in his soak, almost a 100% guarantee! He will pee in his table, but it's scentless. I would line it with plastic or a spray with repellent seal (I did that) so that the damp substrate can sit on there...
What is mr tort?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What difference does it make if he poops in a wood or glass enclosure. Its still poop and you will still clean it up?

Wood enclosures smell no more or less than plastic or glass ones.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Wood needs to be waterproofed. If your tortoise poop & pee smells up the habitat, you may be feeding the wrong food or using the wrong substrate. I say this from experience.

What kind of tortoise? Substrate? Food?

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
It will be a Russian Tortoise
I want to have the substrate as cypress mulch and Coconut fiber.I was trying to tell her I will be the same but she worries about the pee seeping into the wood, can I use a waterproof spray?

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The pee mostly soaks into the substrate & doesn't smell. She's right to worry about wood, but the bigger problem is that it will rot from the damp substrate. Dry substrate is not an option. Waterproofing keeps the wood sealed and avoids smell & rot problems. Some people use vinyl shower curtains and the like, others use poly.

I never use spray for anything (except water.) it's an environmental hazard, a respiratory nightmare and the most expensive way to go. Polyurethane in a can is good.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I think this is a great idea. If you can also find something to use a lid or also build a lid to keep the temperature and humidity will be even better.

TennisGecko

Indiana USA
Yes I will make a lid, I'm getting help from my grandpa he is a very good carpender, even built their 2 story house so I bet he will be able to help :) I think Im finally really getting all the info soaked in, Thanks, I'm going to home depot to check out what kind of wood, but anybody have any opinion of what wood to make it from?

puffy137

I made my tortoise houses from thick durable styrofoam, which is too heavy to blow over by the wind , but easy to lift off .

puffy137

2014-11-10 11.03.06.jpg As they are Greek I made them a Parthenon. Its in the shade but hopefully my artistic abilities can be seen , lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

puffy137

well styrofoam is cheap so you can make as many mistakes as you like, I stuck it all together with silicone sealant:D Oh & tooth picks & long screws to make the structures stronger.

Alaskamike

South Florida
I see you ( OP) are in Indiana. That's where I grew up. It's great your grandpa is handy and will help. One simple idea ( and not expensive) would be a used bookshelf. Garage sales , craigs list , even 2nd hand stores have ' em. Take out shelves, lay on it's back. Put legs on it with 2x4's. You might have to put plywood on back / bottom as some have flimsy backs.
You can line the bottom with plastic. Old shower curtain works. Cover with 3-5" of substrata. Cypress mulch , orchard bark , coco-cor or a mix of all 3.

The urine will break down with little smell. Poop too really with a small one.

You can cover the top with plexiglass to hold in warmth and humidity. But the UVB has to be under the top or it does little good.

Be sure to monitor temps well.

This might be a fun project for you and grandpa.
Good fortune

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My box turtle enclosure is made out of an old dresser, so it is wood. I use either a heavy duty shower curtain, plastic tablecloth, or tarp cut to fit to line the bottom and go half way up the sides. Then I put in the substrate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
First of all, you line the wood with plastic, or paint it with water-proof paint. Then when the tortoise poops and pees, the substrate absorbs the liquid. You have to spot clean - when you see poop, pick it out and toss it, but the pee absorbs into the substrate and doesn't smell. I use the same substrate for about a year before starting again with fresh.