Homemade Russian Tortoise table - ready for any suggestions!

Karen H

5 Year Member
Hello. I spent my entire Labor Day weekend building this for my Russian Tortoise (pinched a nerve in my hip in the process). Tank seems to like it. Do you see anything that needs improving? Thanks!FullSizeRender.jpgIMG_9635.JPGIMG_9634.JPG

GingerLove

5 Year Member
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! Perfect bedding, great hideout, good water bowl (terra cotter planters are cheaper, though), nice size and cutie tort. I might be biased, I loved Russians. ;) Congratulations and welcome to the forum! How's your hip??? So sorry about the pinched nerve!!! P.S. If you pour a couple glasses of water in the dirt, it will re-hydrate and inflate so that your tort can bury himself. Make sure to stir it around. It helps the dirt last a lot longer!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's real nice, and a good size. I have one thing that you might re-consider. Tortoises sometimes use plants as ladders, and while the two plants are visually pleasing in each corner like that, they also make it quite easy for him to try to escape. Just move them away from the corner. I think they'd look just as nice on either side of the door.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I like this. Nice high sides. How deep is your substrate? For Russians, I like to go at least 6 inches deep. Keep it moist. I would change the water bowl. The steep sides can be a tipping hazard. Terra cotta saucers are a safer choice.

Karen H

5 Year Member
THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! Perfect bedding, great hideout, good water bowl (terra cotter planters are cheaper, though), nice size and cutie tort. I might be biased, I loved Russians. ;) Congratulations and welcome to the forum! How's your hip??? So sorry about the pinched nerve!!! P.S. If you pour a couple glasses of water in the dirt, it will re-hydrate and inflate so that your tort can bury himself. Make sure to stir it around. It helps the dirt last a lot longer!
Thank you! My hip took a week to heal (still a bit sore). Probably didn't help that I had to run around with my second grade class all week. I will certainly take your advice about the water in the substrate. How often should I do that?

Karen H

5 Year Member
That's real nice, and a good size. I have one thing that you might re-consider. Tortoises sometimes use plants as ladders, and while the two plants are visually pleasing in each corner like that, they also make it quite easy for him to try to escape. Just move them away from the corner. I think they'd look just as nice on either side of the door.
Thank you. I moved the little plants. :)

Karen H

5 Year Member
I like this. Nice high sides. How deep is your substrate? For Russians, I like to go at least 6 inches deep. Keep it moist. I would change the water bowl. The steep sides can be a tipping hazard. Terra cotta saucers are a safer choice.
Jodie, thanks for the advice. The substrate is not that deep... only a couple of inches. I will change the water bowl as soon as I get to the store. I am a bit confused about how much moisture I need for the substrate. Some sites say that they need it pretty dry, others say that it should be more moist.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Jodie, thanks for the advice. The substrate is not that deep... only a couple of inches. I will change the water bowl as soon as I get to the store. I am a bit confused about how much moisture I need for the substrate. Some sites say that they need it pretty dry, others say that it should be more moist.
An adult Russian doesn't need a lot of humidity, but they like to dig down to more moisture. I try to maintain 50% or so. I water my enclosures like a plant, so underneath stays moist. Let the top dry out between watering.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I water my coco coir until it turns a darker brown, but when you squeeze it, it should not drip water. It also becomes more dense and less powder like when watered. There isn't exactly a specific number of days between watering, I just do it whenever it needs it. I use three bricks in my tort's cage, and with frequent watering, it creates 4 inches of dirt on the deep end. (I keep a deep end and a shallow end). Russian tortoises don't need a lot of humidity, but at the same time, I've been told not to keep the dirt too dry as it can irritate the eyes. I hope this is helpful!