Home made incubator ideas?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Looks like I'm in the market for an incubator, my large Redfoot female is nesting, and last weeks X-ray revealed 3 eggs. The previous owner said she was with other males. I wasn't planning on ever breeding, but Carmella...well she had other plans.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388027520.363939.jpg

So, I'm looking at borrowing an incubator, or possibly making one. Anyone have simple ideas? I do have a rheostat. I can bring home small styrofoam coolers from work.

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Look it up on you tube . They have all kinds of them. I made one for my chickens out of a forty watt lamp ,a thermostat , and a old ice chest .

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I forgot, I have a zoo med thermostat as well. Ok, since she is finishing laying, I guess I better get on it! So excited!!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Re: RE: Home made incubator ideas?

Sulcata_Sandy said:
Looks like I'm in the market for an incubator, my large Redfoot female is nesting, and last weeks X-ray revealed 3 eggs. The previous owner said she was with other males. I wasn't planning on ever breeding, but Carmella...well she had other plans.

So, I'm looking at borrowing an incubator, or possibly making one. Anyone have simple ideas? I do have a rheostat. I can bring home small styrofoam coolers from work.

Look at the top of your torts xray it looks like a happy face .

compassrose26

5 Year Member
Michigan
Re: RE: Home made incubator ideas?

mike taylor said:
Sulcata_Sandy said:

Look at the top of your torts xray it looks like a happy face .
It looks like a dog. See the ears?

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
You guys are goofy. [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

I made an incubator, I'm super happy with it. Temp is really holding steady at 85°. I placed them in the warm/moist peat mulch once I was comfortable with temp/RH. Now we wait....UNTIL MAY!!! Geeeeeze.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Post a picture of your invention .

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388175733.425848.jpg

There are all three.
I will take a pic tonight of the cyborg implant looking incubator I made.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Nah...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388557836.795707.jpg
ZooMed ReptiMat

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388557898.662186.jpg
Plugged into a Zilla thermostat

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388557946.527887.jpg
With a thermometer/probe

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388558010.182662.jpg
Both probes inserted into the soil (peat mulch) at approx the same depth as egg center

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388558105.810831.jpg
Inside of a Rubbermaid tote with ventilation a holes (originally my neonate puppy transport tote)

ImageUploadedByTortForum1388558205.914390.jpg
Covered with a cloth, and the thermometer/thermostat in easy reach.

All of these items I was lucky enough to have on hand. I didn't need to purchase anything.

I monitor then probe thermometer three times a day, and it's been consistently 85-86°.
RH runs 75-90%.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
That's pretty cool, Sandy. I guess you never know for sure what you are getting into when you take in a rescue.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Dizisdalife said:
That's pretty cool, Sandy. I guess you never know for sure what you are getting into when you take in a rescue.

Thanks! I'm very excited. I didn't anticipate "four for the price of one" KMart Special! [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GROWING HEART]

She's not an actual rescue, she's a "rehome" I acquired. I'm so pleased with her. She's more like a dog than a tortoise, very curious, laid back, easy keeper.