Holy cow...read this...

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cincinnati, OH
Not mad at anybody. Just over reacted to hostile insults and stupidity. I've been so good on the sites that I'm on, trying to be nice and change my reputation...But they pulled my chain, and heaven knows that's easy to do to me...so I tried to be adult about it and left. I have disagreed with experienced keepers publicly here, but we state our sides and move on, no name calling or insults. Oh...I was told I was "quibbling over semantics"...HA
Folks constantly argue with me about the dangers of letting their torts free-roam their houses. I get further blasted when I point out the dangers of leaving them around dogs. Gotta be thick-skinned with some folks. The ones that insist on doing things the wrong way are the ones who will simply have to learn from their own mistakes. :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Folks constantly argue with me about the dangers of letting their torts free-roam their houses. I get further blasted when I point out the dangers of leaving them around dogs. Gotta be thick-skinned with some folks. The ones that insist on doing things the wrong way are the ones who will simply have to learn from their own mistakes. :)

And because of that...tortoises will die...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

That gets me too. I remember some years ago here on the Forum some newbie allowed his small Sulcata to roam around the house and she didn't notice him and she smashed his head in the door...that really affected me...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Man, I love a good dust-up. I've got a tub of popcorn and plan to watch the fireworks here...
Don't you just love it. Even I need a good soak every day to get the dust off...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think it's funny that there are 65k members on this forum and as near as I can tell, nobody else is there from here but me. Frankly, despite what it says on my profile I think I have been here since just several months after Yvonne, so I've never had to go to any other forums...and because I have Yvonne I never had to ask for advice from anywhere. I've done my own research of course, but why ask Alexa when I have Yvonne and this Forum??? So Tom, is it alright if I copy and paste your reply? I won't use your name until it's time to come down to posting more truth from me...
My pet shops I've been in lately and asked a question Google and get TFO. I know they have because I know your answers now. I love it and I can see a real difference. 12 years ago they were trying to sell me turtle food for my Russian. I stopped asking. I figured Saphire would be better off with me as bad as I was.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Not mad at anybody. Just over reacted to hostile insults and stupidity. I've been so good on the sites that I'm on, trying to be nice and change my reputation...But they pulled my chain, and heaven knows that's easy to do to me...so I tried to be adult about it and left. I have disagreed with experienced keepers publicly here, but we state our sides and move on, no name calling or insults. Oh...I was told I was "quibbling over semantics"...HA
Well it's always good to have a good brain storming conversation. ⚡pro's and con's. I'm bad about over thinking a situation. Sometimes it helps me figure it out sometimes not.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your not alone. A lot of newbies on here dont like my comments. They post a pic and I won't just say how cute the tort is if I see something wrong. I'm about saving the tort from danger, illness or death more than how cute it is. I have never been one to sugar coat either.

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Your not alone. A lot of newbies on here dont like my comments. They post a pic and I won't just say how cute the tort is if I see something wrong. I'm about saving the tort from danger, illness or death more than how cute it is. I have never been one to sugar coat either.
All reasons I admire you :)

Sa Ga

MN
Nor is there scientific evidence that it causes harm. I do not believe this. My tortoise does not over poop from soaking, and he soaks himself many days.
Soaking Morla several times a day was part of her life-saving recovery protocol. Now I just do it once daily, and as far as making her poop too much, she poops once daily--and sometimes relatively little in volume. I don't think that's too much, is it?

Tony the Tort42

Southern California
Soaking Morla several times a day was part of her life-saving recovery protocol. Now I just do it once daily, and as far as making her poop too much, she poops once daily--and sometimes relatively little in volume. I don't think that's too much, is it?
I haven't heard the story of Morla, is she a rescue? I think they like soaking. Well, it at least seems to relax mine. Im am no judge of how much pooping is normal, but as long as the're healthy (ahem toms) I don't see why soaking a lot is bad haha.

Sa Ga

MN
I haven't heard the story of Morla, is she a rescue? I think they like soaking. Well, it at least seems to relax mine. Im am no judge of how much pooping is normal, but as long as the're healthy (ahem toms) I don't see why soaking a lot is bad haha.
Yes, Morla is a rescue adoptee from Petsmart (I am told some kid surrendered her). Short story: got her in Sept 2019. In Nov 2019, she peed dark brown one night. I took her to the vet the following day. She was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease (progressive kidney deficiency until eventual failure). Severe and prolonged dehydration likely caused this (I don't think the former owner knew to give her soaks ever and I'm not sure if he even gave her extra water other than her food.)

After immediate overnight hospitalization that day, she's been doing well. I tube feed hydration 3x daily and give her a long nightly soak (which she has learned to love) after supper.

At any rate, the soaks help her immensely and her shell (it came EXTREMELY bumpy, dry, dull, and thick) has been greatly improving.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
[/QUOT]
Evidently I am the only person in the world who believes that pooping too much for hatchlings is nutritionally unsound. :( but not only do I believe it 'cause I thought I saw it happening, and I have been diagnosed with basically the same thing, only it's a disease, and it ain't from soaking. So plz forgive me for anthropomorphizing all my animals...and stop worrying about too much pooping, evidently it's only is in my case...lol

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
And I personally love you for it!!!