Hola ?

Lacy's3Boyz

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville
My name is Lacy. My sons and I have two African Sulcata's. We do not know the sex however one is larger than the other so my boys name them Tank(larger)and Batgirl. We were told you cannot figure this out until around 5yrs of age. We got them last summer(2mos old) so they are about a year and a half old now. When we purchased them we were told that they grow very slowly however that has not been the case so far. They have went through 3 tanks already and I simply am not able to get a larger tank for them. These two are wonderful and the easiest to care for in my experience. (We also have other reptiles) I unfortunately didn't know they would grow so fast and we aren't moved into a home with a fence just yet where I can make them a place in the yard. Currently they are in a 40 gal tank. Does anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20211011_130847.jpg
    IMG_20211011_130847.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 21

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lacy, and welcome to the Forum!

You can buy a couple large (by large, I'm referring to floor space, not tall sides) plastic tubs and put two together, or you can buy a sheep water trough:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, you need to get completely enclosed set ups. They should be housed separately, with the one being larger than the other. It probably is from bullying from the larger one. It can look subtle like they are sleeping together or cuddling up to each other. Or the one will sit on the food. Also your enclosure is way to dry. The humidity should be 80% and the coolest temperature should be 80° with a basking spot at 95°-100°. The reason I can tell they are to dry. Is from the pyramiding on the shells. Those bumps sticking up, you cant reverse it but you can stop it by upping the humidity and soaking your torts daily in warm water. The depth of the water should be up to where the top and bottom shell meet. Keep it warm and soak in a plastic tub for 30 to 40 minutes. If the pyramiding gets to bad, it can cause problems with bone structure growing correctly.

Last edited:

Lacy's3Boyz

Jacksonville
Hi Lacy, and welcome to the Forum!

You can buy a couple large (by large, I'm referring to floor space, not tall sides) plastic tubs and put two together, or you can buy a sheep water trough:

Thank you so much for your help and your reply! Im trying to keep these guys and just didn't know there was this much growing in year one! Much appreciated!

Lacy's3Boyz

Jacksonville
Welcome, you need to get completely enclosed set ups. They should be housed separately, with the one being larger than the other. It probably is from bullying from the larger one. It can look subtle like they are sleeping together or cuddling up to each other. Or the one will sit on the food. Also your enclosure is way to dry. The humidity should be 80% and the coolest temperature should be 80° with a basking spot at 95°-100°. The reason I can tell they are to dry. Is from the pyramiding on the shells. Those bumps sticking up, you cant reverse it but you can stop it by upping the humidity and soaking your torts daily in warm water. The depth of the water should be up to where the top and bottom shell meet. Keep it warm and soak in a plastic tub for 30 to 40 minutes. If the pyramiding gets to bad, it can cause problems with bone structure growing correctly.
Wow that's a lot! I wish they would tell you these things when you try to ask questions at time of purchase... I do appreciate you taking the time to help me and to give this much detail. I also believe the larger one is a bully! I've been saying this to my sons. Question... When soaking, how high should the water be? What would you suggest for bedding if it is too dry?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow that's a lot! I wish they would tell you these things when you try to ask questions at time of purchase... I do appreciate you taking the time to help me and to give this much detail. I also believe the larger one is a bully! I've been saying this to my sons. Question... When soaking, how high should the water be? What would you suggest for bedding if it is too dry?
Looks like you might have coco coir in there now. What is the white color in the substrate? If you use coco coir, you can read the instructions on how much water to add. What you want to end up with is when you grab a handful of the coco coir. Squeeze it hard, it should stay in a lump with no water dripping out as you squeeze. 3 or 4 inches of that with 2 inches of repti bark. As it dries out just pour water in to moisten back up. Some members only use repti bark. I used both because it seemed to hold moisture longer.
When soaking depth of water should be where the carapace (top shell) and bottom shell (plastron) meet. Keep warm and if they poop or pee change the water out. To know how the heat is all over the enclosure. Get a infrared temp gun, that way you can spot check temps any time. Just don't point at the eyes.
Screenshot_20201118-094349_Chrome.jpg
Next show us the lights and heat source you are using. If you got from a pet store. It probably is not correct. But again the important issue is getting completely closed enclosures. To hold heat and humidity in. You really got some work to do. To stop the pyramiding. Ask any questions you have.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Also read the caresheets for sulcata tortoises here. I don't know how to post them in a thread.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Also read the caresheets for sulcata tortoises here. I don't know how to post them in a thread.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl