Hog Island Boa Cage Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ickisrulz

5 Year Member
I am thinking about a Hog Island Boa. I'm new to snakes and looking at Boaphile Plastics cages (or something similar). I'm not sure the best size to get though. I'm thinking 4x2 floor space should be fine for an adult, but how tall should it be. I see some people go with only 12 inches. Is this adequate or should I go taller?

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
4x2 ft should be adequate floorspace for an adult Hog, though, like with any animal, bigger is always better. BTW, great choice-- Boaphile cages are fantastic! Hog Isles are neat, too.. ;) lol. Taller is better. From what I have read and experienced with my own Hog Isle/Colombian cross BCI (RIP), Hog Isles tend to be much more arboreal than their mainland cousins. Not totally arboreal, mind you, but not totally terrestrial, either. 12 inches of height would work fine, but some height and, likewise, some climbing apparatuses would be much appreciated by the snake.

Of course, don't forget to do ALL the research you can. You aren't going to run into many really snake-knowledgeable people on a tortoise forum. ;) If you haven't already, your best bet is to go to a boa forum. Redtailboa.net is a good one. Also, try contacting Vin Russo at Cutting Edge Herp (http://cuttingedgeherp.com/) for info. He's generally regarded as one of the very best and most reputable dwarf locality boa breeders in the business.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I just got my own Hogg Island Boa! Thanks for posting those resources, Floof. There is not a lot of easily accessible information out there!

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Congrats on the new addition, Josh! I'm glad the resources were of help to you, too. :) Now, got any pics to share with the class?? :D

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I posted one in the Las Vegas Reptile Expo thread in the photo forum. I'll take some more and post them here!

Status
Not open for further replies.