Akihimeko

Location (City and/or State)
APPLE VALLEY
Hello I'm Aki and this is my new pet tortoise I haven't name em yet as it's still a hatchling and I can't tell it's gender. Please feel free to give any advice on care or what I can do better to help my pet grow up well. (Currently I am look for a home so I can get them one of those wood enclosures for outside and indoors but for now I'm stuck with this tank) I have so many questions to ask. IMG_20210719_185229.jpg

IMG_20210719_184559.jpg
I'm not sure if it's a sulcata or a Russian I think it's the first one.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
You have a sulcata. Follow the sulcata caresheet Rocky posted for ou. And just out of curiosity, what made you get a tortoise that you didnt even know what species it was?

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
You have a sulcata. Follow the sulcata caresheet Rocky posted for ou. And just out of curiosity, what made you get a tortoise that you didnt even know what species it was?
Honestly I was not to concerned on species as it size does not worry me, (i have no kids and a decent income to afford a luxury pet, other wise I would spend it on fabric) we are currently looking for a home out in the high desert in South Cali and I figured this pet would be best for me, as warm blooded pets do not live long. I usually home all day and work at night. I always loved reptiles but when I was a kid I was never allowed to have one and now that I am an adult I want to do my best to care for this tortest.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
Hello Aki! You will find lots of great information here. You cannot tell the sex of a tortoise yet, they have to be older. I cannot identify your Tortoise but I'm sure that many people on here can. This is the Sulcata Tortoise caresheet and this is the Russian Tortoise caresheet. Welcome to the forum!
yeah I read 6 months would be the earliest to tell, Thanks for the care sheet! really helps having another check sheet sadly when you go to pet stores they aren't very knowledgeable on what get I had to watch so many videos on youtube and when you read articles on google sometimes things argue with one another and it gets much to muddy. That's why I am so happy I found this site so I can give my pet the best care it deserves!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
You won't be able to tell gender for years yet.
While vivs are great for raising babies I think the one you have is too small to give him the space he needs to roam which is essential for digestion and bone health so I would look at getting a bigger tank if you can. Also the substrate looks too dry - is it straw?
The water dish is too steep sided and could be a tipping and drowning hazard. Terracotta plant saucers are cheap and much safer if they are sunk level with substrate so that they are easier for the tort to access and exit for self soaking. You could also use one for the food to stop substrate getting eaten.
If the dial guage on the side is a thermometer it is too high to measure temps at tort level and not very accurate, so a digital thermometer/hygrometer would be better. A digital temp gun is also good for spot checking temps in different areas at tort level.
The caresheet link will tell you about the best options for everything you need for raising a healthy sullie with as little pyramiding as possible. So please read that carefully and ask as many questions as you like.
Sadly pet stores know little about tort care but often sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for the profit. To save money check with members here before buying anything you need.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
Awesome will do! thank you!

Hi and welcome,
You won't be able to tell gender for years yet.
While vivs are great for raising babies I think the one you have is too small to give him the space he needs to roam which is essential for digestion and bone health so I would look at getting a bigger tank if you can. Also the substrate looks too dry - is it straw?
The water dish is too steep sided and could be a tipping and drowning hazard. Terracotta plant saucers are cheap and much safer if they are sunk level with substrate so that they are easier for the tort to access and exit for self soaking. You could also use one for the food to stop substrate getting eaten.
If the dial guage on the side is a thermometer it is too high to measure temps at tort level and not very accurate, so a digital thermometer/hygrometer would be better. A digital temp gun is also good for spot checking temps in different areas at tort level.
The caresheet link will tell you about the best options for everything you need for raising a healthy sullie with as little pyramiding as possible. So please read that carefully and ask as many questions as you like.
Sadly pet stores know little about tort care but often sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for the profit. To save money check with members here before buying anything you need.

Last edited:

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
The substrate is Cypress mulch( I did see another brand that look much more moist then what I picked up yesterday maybe I should try that?) and I used the creatures creature soil as I couldn't find top soil?? I was a bit confused on that...do I go to hardware store? Also if I double the length of the tank so instead of 20 it be 40 by 18 by 12?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Honestly I was not to concerned on species as it size does not worry me, (i have no kids and a decent income to afford a luxury pet, other wise I would spend it on fabric) we are currently looking for a home out in the high desert in South Cali and I figured this pet would be best for me, as warm blooded pets do not live long. I usually home all day and work at night. I always loved reptiles but when I was a kid I was never allowed to have one and now that I am an adult I want to do my best to care for this tortest.
Yes, but the two different species require two different types of care.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
That would be the minimum size for a hatchling and if ur conditions are right its only gonna last you a month or 2. You would be better off starting a sulcata in a 6’x3’ and that would last u a year or maybe a lil more.
Ok thank you I for now I can get em the longer tank and definitely make and outdoor enclosure from a raised garden bed since I figured I could buy a second frame hammer on some chicken wires so I can put the heat laps over it. Something that big can't be inside. (Currently stay with my parents I think they would prefer em outside for a big enclosure) I worried the ants will find out.

how do you keep the mulch moist by they way?

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
That would be the minimum size for a hatchling and if ur conditions are right its only gonna last you a month or 2. You would be better off starting a sulcata in a 6’x3’ and that would last u a year or maybe a lil more.
Thank you! This is helpful I am buy a garden bed or bookshelf? and build an outdoor enclosure, hopefully by next month I have my house.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

For a baby like yours, you really need him to be in a closed chamber enclosure inside. It needs a top to keep in the heat and humidity that needs to be maintained 24/7. Maintaining the heat and humidity is impossible with an open top.

I'd suggest you get something built properly for the purpose. Read this post...it will tell you about different options.

The grow tents are turned onto their side for tort use, so you need to use that to figure the size. They come in lots of sizes from Amazon, and are reasonable in price, and work well.

The enclosures built by Markw84 are the most beautiful of all. They are modular...you can buy a regular size at first, then when your baby outgrows it, you buy an add-on to double the size. They come prewired with fixtures and are "smart". If interested, PM Mark and he'll send you the info.

Akihimeko

APPLE VALLEY
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

For a baby like yours, you really need him to be in a closed chamber enclosure inside. It needs a top to keep in the heat and humidity that needs to be maintained 24/7. Maintaining the heat and humidity is impossible with an open top.

I'd suggest you get something built properly for the purpose. Read this post...it will tell you about different options.

The grow tents are turned onto their side for tort use, so you need to use that to figure the size. They come in lots of sizes from Amazon, and are reasonable in price, and work well.

The enclosures built by Markw84 are the most beautiful of all. They are modular...you can buy a regular size at first, then when your baby outgrows it, you buy an add-on to double the size. They come prewired with fixtures and are "smart". If interested, PM Mark and he'll send you the info.
I did find the mark person and left a comment thank you!