TheLastGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Johannesburg
Hallo, I would like to adopt a hingback, but I'm not sure what type it is. The person says it's a tanzanian hingeback, (perhaps zombensis?) It can be skepii or natalensis but I'm not sure?

I heard @tortadise is good, so I'm hoping they could help?IMG-20210801-WA0005.jpgIMG-20210801-WA0006.jpgIMG-20210801-WA0007.jpg

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
@JThompson is super into kinixys and may be able to help. One problem is that several of the members good at ID that were tagged in this and your other thread haven't been on the forum in months. I believe he also has a FB page called the Kinixys Working Group in case you wanted to try to get ahold of him there.

FB:

This page may also help you:

No need to keep reposting the same thread.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Hallo, I would like to adopt a hingback, but I'm not sure what type it is. The person says it's a tanzanian hingeback, (perhaps zombensis?) It can be skepii or natalensis but I'm not sure?

I heard @tortadise is good, so I'm hoping they could help?
These animals are all Kinixys spekii. They have elongated and flattened shells.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Tom, there are at least a couple that have black heads. Couldn't any of them be Bells?
First take account shell shape. That's what separates Belliana and Spekii most definitely. The head color is what we are using to distinguish Zombensis from Belliana, as both those species have fairly domed shells. But the Speke's carapace is distinctly flattened and elongated, a character which all these animals readily show. Hope all is well Bill!

norma.b

St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa

First take account shell shape. That's what separates Belliana and Spekii most definitely. The head color is what we are using to distinguish Zombensis from Belliana, as both those species have fairly domed shells. But the Speke's carapace is distinctly flattened and elongated, a character which all these animals readily show. Hope all is well Bill!
My Natalensis doesnt look like that

Attachments

• 20210812_120624.jpg
    20210812_120624.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • 20210812_120641.jpg
    20210812_120641.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17