Hingeback active times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
All our tortoises are so unique and interesting. Since getting the Speke's we have noticed their activity differs from all the others we care for. Speke's are active in the early morning hours, like before 7 am, and evening time when all other torts are in bed. It makes it fun for us since we spend so much time watching our torts, we have someone that's active at most hours of the day now. We had read that hingeback's are "secretive". We don't find that to be any more true for them as any other tortoise species. They just have their clock set differently! There is also nothing like watching them race for the mushrooms at feeding time. It seems like candy to the Speke's!

Does anyone else notice a tortoise species whose active time is so different from the others?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
Both my RF's and MEP's are active sunrise to about 9 am and then active again toward sunset. From the research I've done this is normal for MEPs and I believe for RFs also being forest torts. I can understand it in Speke's also being that they closely related to Bell's (another forest tort). When I had Bell's (noguey ssp.), they acted the same.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Different species= different hemisphere.. different environment.. different TIME ZONES..
36_12_6.gif
.. etc., etc.

It never ceases to amaze me also.. how some [ so called "experts"?? ] lump ALL tortoises into the same 'care' category!

My RF's cruise in the early morning and again early evening.. stay hidden otherwise.

The stars love the sunshine during the day.. into the 90's.. then to their hide well before dusk.

No wonder we see so many stressed ones on these forums!!!

NERD

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
My Greeks and DT are the same, up at sunrise and down about 9am then up in the early evening. During the heat of the day they are all sleeping.
When they were in the hospital tank the behavior was much different, much smaller space more heat. They were up most of the day pacing. Very stressful times for them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
When talking about Hingebacks being secretive, that is normally just pertaining to the Homes and Erosa. Bells and Spekes are entirely different animals all together. Also talking recently WC, not long term or captive bred animals. All four of the species will become much more people oriented with time, however.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I was told they are more of a nocturnal type of tort. Secretive, shy, hunters. .. big eyes.. kinda makes sense...

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Wild caught tortoises act totally different than captive animals. Once they acclimate to captivity they all seem to have the same activity pattern... active in the morning and in the afternoon depending on the season. As the weather gets cooler they are more active.

The wild caught Spekes that are currently available do seem to be more active at night but I had some long term Spekes that developed the same activity pattern as all my other tortoises.

Tim/Robin said:
All our tortoises are so unique and interesting. Since getting the Speke's we have noticed their activity differs from all the others we care for. Speke's are active in the early morning hours, like before 7 am, and evening time when all other torts are in bed. It makes it fun for us since we spend so much time watching our torts, we have someone that's active at most hours of the day now. We had read that hingeback's are "secretive". We don't find that to be any more true for them as any other tortoise species. They just have their clock set differently! There is also nothing like watching them race for the mushrooms at feeding time. It seems like candy to the Speke's!

Does anyone else notice a tortoise species whose active time is so different from the others?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Both the Erosa and the Homes are just as active and outgoing as any other hingeback once they are acclimated to captivity... they can have similar personalities to the Redfoots.

Jacqui said:
When talking about Hingebacks being secretive, that is normally just pertaining to the Homes and Erosa. Bells and Spekes are entirely different animals all together. Also talking recently WC, not long term or captive bred animals. All four of the species will become much more people oriented with time, however.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Well... I keep my redfoots the same as my pyxis the same as my leopards the same as my chacos the same as my golden greeks the same as my stars the same as my Aldabras the same as my sulcatas the same as my pancakes the same as my hingebacks the same as my russians the same as my Libyan greaca the same as my egyptians... no problems here... no stressed animals either.

Redfoot NERD said:
Different species= different hemisphere.. different environment.. different TIME ZONES..
36_12_6.gif
.. etc., etc.

It never ceases to amaze me also.. how some [ so called "experts"?? ] lump ALL tortoises into the same 'care' category!

My RF's cruise in the early morning and again early evening.. stay hidden otherwise.

The stars love the sunshine during the day.. into the 90's.. then to their hide well before dusk.

No wonder we see so many stressed ones on these forums!!!

NERD

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
-EJ said:
Both the Erosa and the Homes are just as active and outgoing as any other hingeback once they are acclimated to captivity... they can have similar personalities to the Redfoots.

Jacqui said:

Hmmm thought that was what I said, except never mentioned the RFs. :D

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
It's called selective reading... I hate when people do that...

Jacqui said:
-EJ said:

Jacqui said:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
-EJ said:
It's called selective reading... I hate when people do that...

Jacqui said:
-EJ said:

Jacqui said:

Me too....

Status
Not open for further replies.