Hinge-back care sheet feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I am FINALLY getting around to adding more species pages to the Tortoise Library, and did one for hinge-backs.

This is not a species I have any real familiarity with, so most of what I have so far is based on piecing things together from many sources.

What I would LOVE would be for some feedback on the page. I already know my nice new map is messed up, but how is the rest of it?

Thanks so much for any help- this sort of peer review is really helpful!

https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/e-species-information/hinge-back-tortoises--coming

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pretty good. I like it. Now you need some photos. I have some nice spekii specimens I could snap photos of for yah.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I agree photos would be nice. Google Sites does photos a bit oddly and they sometimes get lost but if anyone has some I could use, I would really appreciate it!

FYI- fixed the map.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, I know this is a personal preference kinda thing, but I really have a negative thought of hingeback being spelled hinge-back. Which sadly does cause me to think less of any information inside. Yeah I do the spell checker likes hinge-back, so that is why I think many places use it. Common folks tend not to.

I did laugh at the "Males often make low groaning hisses during mating" I have yet to house a male hingeback of any type that has not been vocal. They are louder then any of my other tortoises, plus I think every week some male is at it or worse is when you have several males going at it and it's like stereo surround sound. :D

When talking about the youngsters and their lack of hinge, you might want to add the hinge generally starts appearing around 2 years.

On indoor housing, I think you need to really bring home the fact that these animals (especially the Homes and Erosa, with Erosa being the best I think) are excellent climbers (better then the Russians who are well known escape artists.

I of course disagree on the substrate. I think the coir/sand or earth type substrates are better due to humidity and digging ease. Also I strongly recommend leaf litter, too.

I find the diet percentages to be interesting and not at all along the lines of what most folks feed.

I also find it interesting that so much weight is put on parasite loads. I really don't see that as being as much of a problem as we use to think it was.

... just my humble thoughts

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Okay, I know this is a personal preference kinda thing, but I really have a negative thought of hingeback being spelled hinge-back. Which sadly does cause me to think less of any information inside. Yeah I do the spell checker likes hinge-back, so that is why I think many places use it. Common folks tend not to.

B/c they are thinking of it as two distinct adjectives prior to a noun.... Now, for you, I strongly suspect, hingeback is in and of itself a noun ( and rightly so):) Going to work on the enclosure...

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In the world of naming animals, the general trend is different than it was when I was growing up. It is no longer considered proper to capitalize animal names unless the word is a proper noun otherwise. The other change is that it is considered proper to hyphenate when the name involves an adjective, so redfoot becomes red-foot. (In that example, it considered even more proper to state it as 'red-footed'.) You see this a lot with birds- black-capped, blue-footed, etc.

There will never be 100% agreement on that sort of thing, so I am following the SSAR's general guidelines (http://www.herplit.com/SSAR/circulars/HC29/Crother.html ). 'Hingeback' is not a proper noun, nor 'real' word, whereas 'hinge-backed' describes that the back is hinged. This is why I use 'red-footed' all the time instead of my preferred 'Redfoot'.

As for the other stuff- I made the other changes, but what would you say for the diet? I cannot find a ton of good care info for these guys, which is why I am asking for this feedback- especially from you.

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
looks good-If you want photos of these I have some of mine
K. b. nogueyi, Western Hinge-back Tortoise
Thanks for your time there are not many resources out there for Kinixys at all.
Louise

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
In casual discussion, I always say "redfoot" but whenever I'm making an information ID card or something, I will say "Red-footed Tortoise."

I agree with Jacqui, though. In the tortoise community, it seems "hingeback" is the common way.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Like I said Mark, it's a personal preference thing with me. :)

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
Madkins007, may I call you Mark? Can I just say I really appreciate this caresheet right now. I am babysitting a Hingeback for the time being and this isn't a tortoise I would choose for myself (no offense). I am a Star person or Russian. :D Anyway, I had no idea what I was doing with this poor guy. I knew his diet, bedding, and overall care was wrong when I got him and changed the common sense things but I didn't know things that humidity, proper or preferred diet or temps. Now, I feel like dirt. I had some things wrong and some right. But, at least while I am babysitting for the next few weeks I can get them right and provide the best care. Thank you.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Vish- you can call me Mark, or, as I prefer, Lord High Master of All, but i would not put 100% trust in that care sheet yet- it is still getting reviewed.

So, Jacqui and Student- on a scale of 1-9, how much does 'hinge-back' bug you? I am not married to it, and it is not quite in the same context as 'red-footed'.

And Jacqui- why are you wasting your valuable time on a hyphen when you SHOULD be helping me get this diet and stuff right? :)

Tortoise- any photos I can use are welcome.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D ummm cuz it's a pet peeve and really irritates me? :D

How about it's too hot to sit with a laptop and write stuff?

okay so I am just feeling lazy currently? Yeah the last one, that's my story and I am sticking to it.

plus you can use any of my pictures you want, too. :p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Yeesh, Jacqui- I am at least a dozen times lazier than you and you want me to search threads? (But seriously, thanks!)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Nah, I'll be nice and write you up something. Hopefully will have it done by tonight.... unless the heat gets to me, then it might be tomorrow.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
The hyphen thing isn't going to make me lose sleep or anything. I was just noting that I see it spelled without it more often than with. Bottom line I suppose...if I was writing the care sheet, I would go with "hingeback."

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
StudentoftheReptile said:
The hyphen thing isn't going to make me lose sleep or anything. I was just noting that I see it spelled without it more often than with. Bottom line I suppose...if I was writing the care sheet, I would go with "hingeback."

:D I knew I liked you! :D

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
I bought a book regarding "Hingeback's" yesterday to educate myself (Yes, I know all info can be found here) anyway it spelled Hingeback just as Jacqui spells it. "Hingeback". Just thought I would throw that out there. ;)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Hmmm... I may have to go back and change that then. (But mostly because I have a crush on Jacqui!)

OK, it is done.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Mark, the second picture showing a rear is not a Bell's, it's Homes(in your article).

Mark
Just a few quick pictures from some of my albums in photobucket to give you a hingeback 101 look at some of the things mentioned in the article.

A Bells
202-2.jpg

another Bells
208-2.jpg

compared to the flatter spekii
213-2.jpg

214-2.jpg

A newly forming hinge..
455.jpg

Shells can be nicely patterned
004-3.jpg

002-2.jpg

This guy shows the high walking hingebacks do and the more spindly legs they have.
352.jpg

A young Spekii
135-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

002-2.jpg

Young Bells
056-1-1.jpg

060-1-1.jpg

012-2-1.jpg

Homes hatchlings
022.jpg

024.jpg