Hight for my lights?

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
so earlyer on a thread you guys helped me out with the propper lights. i got the new uvb light and it is the right one i ckeaked. exept it seems very bright in the cage should it be higher. right now it is laying on the top of the cage and the cage is around a foot high i think. please help em with the propper hight and let me know if you need a photo. @Tom I woudl aprishate if you came on here becuse you helped me out on another foarm to help me get the right lights. Charlie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
so earlyer on a thread you guys helped me out with the propper lights. i got the new uvb light and it is the right one i ckeaked. exept it seems very bright in the cage should it be higher. right now it is laying on the top of the cage and the cage is around a foot high i think. please help em with the propper hight and let me know if you need a photo. @Tom I woudl aprishate if you came on here becuse you helped me out on another foarm to help me get the right lights. Charlie
What bulb did you get? Is it shining through a screen?

CharlieS2020

Ontario
What bulb did you get? Is it shining through a screen?
i got the 10.0 zoo med one off of amazon and i bought a thing to hold it of of amazon to. there is no screen shining through because the top of the cage is chicken wire and the thing to hold it has no screen over top it. Charlie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i got the 10.0 zoo med one off of amazon and i bought a thing to hold it of of amazon to. there is no screen shining through because the top of the cage is chicken wire and the thing to hold it has no screen over top it. Charlie
Which ZooMed 10.0? They make a cfl 10.0, a T8 10.0, and a T 5 HO 10.0.

Only the latter will give you any usable UV. The first one shouldn't be used. The middle one makes nice light, but your tortoise won't get much UV benefit from it.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Which ZooMed 10.0? They make a cfl 10.0, a T8 10.0, and a T 5 HO 10.0.

Only the latter will give you any usable UV. The first one shouldn't be used. The middle one makes nice light, but your tortoise won't get much UV benefit from it.
i bought the zoo med 10.0 t5 Ho like you recoumended, you said it would work fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i bought the zoo med 10.0 t5 Ho like you recoumended, you said it would work fine.
12 inches is a little close for an HO bulb. I'd raise it up a little and only run it for a couple of hours mid day. Be sure there are plenty of shade areas and hides where your tortoise can get out of the "sun".

Only a UV meter can tell you what distance to mount your bulb.

CharlieS2020

Ontario
12 inches is a little close for an HO bulb. I'd raise it up a little and only run it for a couple of hours mid day. Be sure there are plenty of shade areas and hides where your tortoise can get out of the "sun".

Only a UV meter can tell you what distance to mount your bulb.
thank you for the respose i will raise it higher. Charlie