High yellow radiate colony

Radmaster

Hi everyone I would like some input on selective breeding of high yellow radiates in my colony. I have been keeping radiates for 6 years now and this is my collection so far: 1 high yellow Male 12 inches(not breeding yet, hes 6 and a half years old), 3 semi high yellow unsexed, 6 above average colour mixed sex and 4 average colour also mixed sex.

I had my first batch of eggs last year but they failed to hatch, just last week I had another batch, hopefully everything works out this time around. I am also the first person in my country to produce radiate eggs.

I am hoping for some insight from some experienced individuals that has been in this game for a while if my current colony can consistently produce high and semi high yellow babies. Or should I invest in 1 or 2 more high yellow or go big and purchase a super high yellow radiate to boost the high yellow bloodline in my colony's gene pool?20190728_141344.jpeg20190722_115833_mr1563774253217.jpeg

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
You will see that generally speaking, colorful parents tend to produce colorful babies, but this is far from a certainty. Some of the most colorful babies I have ever seen came from a Dam that was very dark. The only way to know what a certain genetic paring will produce is to try it and see.

I hatched these babies about 2 weeks ago. Same Sire, same Dam, same clutch, different color.IMG_3938.jpg

Radmaster

You will see that generally speaking, colorful parents tend to produce colorful babies, but this is far from a certainty. Some of the most colorful babies I have ever seen came from a Dam that was very dark. The only way to know what a certain genetic paring will produce is to try it and see.

I hatched these babies about 2 weeks ago. Same Sire, same Dam, same clutch, different color.View attachment 277599
Thank you very much for your input this is very interesting indeed I would like to know what is the male to female ratio is and how many breeding adult tortoises do you have in your colony to produce X amount of eggs.

lezel84

Location (City and/or State)
Puchong
Thank you very much for your input this is very interesting indeed I would like to know what is the male to female ratio is and how many breeding adult tortoises do you have in your colony to produce X amount of eggs.
Hi i am new here.
I am curious any progress to your radiata colony. I hope u can share your own experience after another 3 years gone. Thank you.