high temprature and dry weather

ahmed helmy

Location (City and/or State)
cairo , egypt
today in Cairo Egypt is the first day for high temperature it's 36 c =almost 97 f
my tortoises do aestivate now and show no moves K and it's dry outside too
how to increase humidity in the enclosure ?
they have hiding places but the substrate is too dry (sand & peat-moss)
and the humidity rate is about 10% now

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
The first thing I would make the sand in any form go because torts will eat the sand and get compacted . I will not take a chance with my Egyptians getting compacted .

ahmed helmy

cairo , egypt
The first thing I would make the sand in any form go because torts will eat the sand and get compacted . I will not take a chance with my Egyptians getting compacted .
THEY NEVER EAT SAND
it's their natural habitat
substrates9.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ahmed,and Happy Birthday!!

Are your tortoises in an enclosure or are the loose in the outside yard? You could provide a cup of water in the enclosure then cover it. As the water evaporates it adds moisture to the air. If they're outside, maybe you can just sprinkle the earth around their den with the garden hose occasionally.

I don't keep Egyptians but I thought they were supposed to be kept more on the dry side???

Salspi

Chicago
THEY NEVER EAT SAND
it's their natural habitat
substrates9.jpg
This is exactly why I am confused that people keep they're kleinmanni on oyster shell instead of sand. I'm no expert so I just keep quiet and listen. But, every video of T. Kleinmanni exhibits at Zoo's seem to use sand. They never use oyster shell.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In captivity they are much more likely to eat sand. This is not deliberate, it's by accident.

Sand sticks to damp food and gets ingested this way. Chances are that their food is not damp in the wild which is why they are less likely to eat it.

Once eaten, sand can and does get impacted in the gut which is why many keepers avoid using it as a substrate.

Salspi

Chicago
In captivity they are much more likely to eat sand. This is not deliberate, it's by accident.

Sand sticks to damp food and gets ingested this way. Chances are that their food is not damp in the wild which is why they are less likely to eat it.

Once eaten, sand can and does get impacted in the gut which is why many keepers avoid using it as a substrate.

Does the oyster shell stick to damp greens?