Hiding a lot.

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland Tennessee
For about the last week or so, Pearl has kind of slowed down her activity. She wants to spend most of her day in her little humid hide. The conditions in her enclosure are spot on (80-100% humidity, above 80 temps). I’m wondering if it’s because she knows winter is coming? Or should I be conserved? Are everyone else’s red foots starting to chill out too?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
For about the last week or so, Pearl has kind of slowed down her activity. She wants to spend most of her day in her little humid hide. The conditions in her enclosure are spot on (80-100% humidity, above 80 temps). I’m wondering if it’s because she knows winter is coming? Or should I be conserved? Are everyone else’s red foots starting to chill out too?
They say Redfoots don't brumate, but I've experienced the same thing you have with both my torts this time of year for a couple years now. Makes me wonder?

Cleveland Tennessee
She’s still interested in eating. I just have to pull her out of her cave first. After that, she’s pretty active. She’s acting like a broody teenager who doesn’t want to get up for school lol.
Also, @ZEROPILOT I’ve been putting the athletes foot cream on her shell for a while per your advice, but I’m not seeing any improvement. Think it’s time to see a vet?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
She’s still interested in eating. I just have to pull her out of her cave first. After that, she’s pretty active. She’s acting like a broody teenager who doesn’t want to get up for school lol.
Also, @ZEROPILOT I’ve been putting the athletes foot cream on her shell for a while per your advice, but I’m not seeing any improvement. Think it’s time to see a vet?
You wont neccesarily see much.
When the fungus dies in 10 days or so, itll still look the same. But the area will stop being soft and cheese like.
Then the scarring will remain for a very long time.
If it was fungus. It's dead by now. So you can stop treatment.
With more experience, you'll be able to tell active fungus from healing areas just by looking at it.
The color and consistency aren't the same.
Unfortunately, you'll probably see it again. It's not uncommon with RF.
Luckily it's easy to cure

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
I'm trying to learn the same thing. I hope one day to be as knowledgeable and capable as you with my baby one day ?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm trying to learn the same thing. I hope one day to be as knowledgeable and capable as you with my baby one day ?
That's very kind.
But a lot of my success comes from just my location.
South Florida
Redfoot keeping is very simple here.
My hat goes off to all of those keepers that raise RF in less than ideal conditions.
They're the real heroes.

Cleveland Tennessee
Huh. So, it was never soft or anything like that. It just looks like scars, but it had spread further out from the time I got her to when I stated treatment. There’s no crumbly feeling or anything. It looks like scratches in her plastron more or less. I’ll post photos later today.

Angiegirl68

venice
Mine is also doing the same. Weve gone done to the 80s in the day & 70s at night. I was wondering the same

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
What I have learned from my 3 RF tortoises of age 4 month old, that this is just a matter of personality as well. I have 3 torts with very different characters, one stays out of the hide discovering and eating for maybe 6-7 hours a day, only goes to his hide place when he wants to sleep. The second likes to stay for a while in the water dish then eat, so maybe 3 hours a day out of the hide. The third one comes out only to eat and get soaked in water. After food he directly goes to burry him self under the substrate until the next day (about just 1 hour not hiding).

They are all healthy and in good shape. I think it's just different personalities, specially the young ones varies in personalities very much. Some are scared and want to hide by nature, while others just somehow feels safer than others