Hides and humidity.

Nite nite termite

Location (City and/or State)
St aug fl
Hi my name is Marsha. I’m 62 years old and I acquired my first tortoise. A red foot tortoise that is nine weeks old. He’s in a black industrial tub with a yellow top from Home Depot the biggest one they had. I have approximately 6 inches of cypress mulch mixed with two bags of spagnum moss for substrate. I have two different sizes of clay pots on their sides that are not only full of substrate halfway up they are also covered in substrate. Both were soaked for 24 hours before placed in the cage, as a matter fact all of the clay pieces were. He has a 100 W red basking lamp in a dome reflector and strip lights that are UV b for reptiles in the form of 2 18 inch fluorescent lam and to end. He has a 100 W red basking lamp in a dome reflector. And strip lights that are UVB for reptiles in the form of 2 18 inch florescence laid end to end. Water dish basking dish and feeding dish are all terra-cotta. I’m doing great with my temperatures but of course I’m struggling with humidity. Please advise… If I am to understand what I am reading even if I cannot keep a consistent 70% or above, since I’ve read so many varying temperatures I’m going with the average of 70%, as long as I keep it as close as I can and and also keep One of the hides nice and damp and humid he will choose it when he needs it and be OK? Is that enough to prevent the dreaded pyramiding? Do I absolutely have to have a humidifier? I spray him often but I am aware that he should not be too wet/waterlogged, and I would have no idea how often to use a humidifier and I certainly can’t afford a humidifier and a timer right this minute. I sprayed him often and I fluff his substrate often so that it stays slightly damp and not soaked. I live in Saint Augustine Florida but of course it’s not as humid in my home as it is outside. I am definitely going to close off most of the top. But I do want to be able to see him so I don’t wanna close the whole thing up I’m afraid of cooking him if I do LOL help!

Zoeclare

Uk
Hi could you post some pics of your enclosure? You should not need a humidifier with a closed chamber just dump some water in every week or when needed so your bottom layer of substrate is wet but the top is dryer. I personally wouldn't use the red bulb it confuses the tort and makes everything look like tasty food, which could encourage eating substrate. Also red foots don't really need a basking area an ambient temperature throughout the enclosure of around 82-84 is just right. You can use a che on a thermostat to make sure the temps stay consistent and for night heat. Oh and welcome to the forum! ?

Nite nite termite

St aug fl
View attachment 306525View attachment 306525
Hi could you post some pics of your enclosure? You should not need a humidifier with a closed chamber just dump some water in every week or when needed so your bottom layer of substrate is wet but the top is dryer. I personally wouldn't use the red bulb it confuses the tort and makes everything look like tasty food, which could encourage eating substrate. Also red foots don't really need a basking area an ambient temperature throughout the enclosure of around 82-84 is just right. You can use a che on a thermostat to make sure the temps stay consistent and for night heat. Oh and welcome to the forum! ?

Nite nite termite

St aug fl

Attachments

• A882B32E-1F83-43D0-92FF-DE8AD04A5F55.jpeg
    A882B32E-1F83-43D0-92FF-DE8AD04A5F55.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • A9B9846D-47FA-4293-986D-55D5981DE429.jpeg
    A9B9846D-47FA-4293-986D-55D5981DE429.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • A319E1EA-A1AC-46D8-B0D3-8FD3DB6323C2.jpeg
    A319E1EA-A1AC-46D8-B0D3-8FD3DB6323C2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 60
  • 98173D58-D2CA-4875-B5BE-F4BE9E6CF5B2.jpeg
    98173D58-D2CA-4875-B5BE-F4BE9E6CF5B2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56

Zoeclare

Uk
I do not have a closed in chamber as of yet I’m going to get some sort of clear top for it today the lights will be underneath the clear but it will hold heat/humidity in on 2/3 of the enclosure.
Yes that will definitely help keep the humidity up and you won't need a humidifier! You enclosure looks really good, I would suggest adding a few plants for your little one to hide under as well, redfoot don't really like super bright lights.

Nite nite termite

St aug fl
Yes that will definitely help keep the humidity up and you won't need a humidifier! You enclosure looks really good, I would suggest adding a few plants for your little one to hide under as well, redfoot don't really like super bright lights.
I turned on that extra light the one on the right the incandescent, which is shatterproof by the way, just to help out with heat if needed and for this picture to be honest. It’s not on very often. You can’t see it in the photo but across from the little spider babies which are floating in water for humidity purposes, it’s an aloe plant. I’m on the lookout for some organic spider plants and or fountain grass. I might even soak some clay tiles and stand them up right along the edges an as The water evaporates from them I believe that will help humidity as well. I’m just afraid it will also make it to cool in there. This is all a little Cray Cray. I really don’t want to hurt him. He’s eating like a champ though greens, Missouri pellets, another kind of pellet I bought from the breeder, mixed veggies, from the freezer, calcium mix, all of it I just haven’t been able to coax him into eating any of the grasses I’ve picked from the yard yet hibiscus on the way. The water evaporates from them I believe that will help humidity as well. I’m just afraid it will also make it to cool in there. This is all a little Cray Cray. I really don’t want to hurt him. He’s eating like a champ though greens, Missouri pellets, another tortoise pallet I bought, mixed veggies, from the freezer, calcium mix, all love it I just haven’t been able to coax him into eating any of the grasses I’ve picked from the yard yet hibiscus on the way. And of course a cactus patty. But the humidity has me stumped and I’m afraid I’m going to cause him to pyramid it struggles to stay around 50 or 60% if I get it up high the substrate is just too wet. So I’m making the really wet damp cool area the bigger hide the rest of the areas going to be drier and around 80° fingers crossed .

Zoeclare

Uk
It does take a bit of time to get everything dialled in and can seem a bit daunting to start with! I'm sure covering the top will really help though. A nice daily soak for 30-45 mins will also keep your little one hydrated. I forgot to ask, what's your torties name?

Nite nite termite

St aug fl
It does take a bit of time to get everything dialled in and can seem a bit daunting to start with! I'm sure covering the top will really help though. A nice daily soak for 30-45 mins will also keep your little one hydrated. I forgot to ask, what's your torties name?
Termite. Thank you so much for your help. Now to figure out a cover. Will post it.

Zoeclare

Uk
Soo precious! Baby redfoot are just the cutest!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Well actually I have a red 100 watt AND a 100 watt white shatterproof incandescent. I use both alternately. That is my compromise to the red/no red bask/not bask quandry. They get some of each.
Definitely ditch the red bulb and use a Ceramic heat emitter instead.

Nite nite termite

St aug fl
Soo precious! Baby redfoot are just the cutest!
So I decided that for now a heavy duty shower curtain liner will have to work. Budget friendly, and is more like rubber than plastic. Thick and folded double. Holds moisture like A plastic lid, can be opened up at night or while I am working to effect ‘closed chamber’ Moisture/humidity. I hope. Also insulates to Hold in heat as well. Especially at night and With colder weather coming.
As far as the red bulbs go… Everyone keeps saying if I use too much light that they don’t like it bright. So I felt like using one of each or even alternating them help to keep it from being so bright while still providing warmth. And also not driving it crazy with the red. Once I realized it anyway. Too much money involved at this point to switch out to a ceramic heater. I’m into the rent money at this point. More plants on the way.
I can also place lid on and cover entire enclosure if needed. One end moist and warm, the other cooler and dryer. A hide on each end also.
Pics follow.

Attachments

• BBAE844F-E254-441A-8C67-76FB6AAB4F5B.jpeg
    BBAE844F-E254-441A-8C67-76FB6AAB4F5B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • FCBC973C-7117-47D5-9F4E-C675C0C01FB0.jpeg
    FCBC973C-7117-47D5-9F4E-C675C0C01FB0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • 72EAC641-EB0C-4A92-89D0-CDFEF76006A7.jpeg
    72EAC641-EB0C-4A92-89D0-CDFEF76006A7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 19

Zoeclare

Uk
Great! Having more plants will help with humidity too and give Termite more places to hide, just make sure if they are store bought he can't reach them to nibble on for a while in case they have pesticides on. I'm in the uk but I got my ches on amazon, waaay cheaper than reptile shops.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
So I decided that for now a heavy duty shower curtain liner will have to work. Budget friendly, and is more like rubber than plastic. Thick and folded double. Holds moisture like A plastic lid, can be opened up at night or while I am working to effect ‘closed chamber’ Moisture/humidity. I hope. Also insulates to Hold in heat as well. Especially at night and With colder weather coming.
As far as the red bulbs go… Everyone keeps saying if I use too much light that they don’t like it bright. So I felt like using one of each or even alternating them help to keep it from being so bright while still providing warmth. And also not driving it crazy with the red. Once I realized it anyway. Too much money involved at this point to switch out to a ceramic heater. I’m into the rent money at this point. More plants on the way.
I can also place lid on and cover entire enclosure if needed. One end moist and warm, the other cooler and dryer. A hide on each end also.
Pics follow.
You can get a ceramic heat emitter for less than $10 including shipping.