HID uvb light?

cuc228

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I read that HID bulbs provide decent uvb amount and the uvb they emit degrade much slower than other kinds of bulbs. However it seems they are not preferred by the market. I once used exo terra Sunray 70w HID for a long time and now I can’t find the replacement bulbs anywhere online at a reasonable price. It seems exo terra discontinues this product for good. Does HID uvb light have fatal weakness? Or is it just because they are too durable so they are not preferred by the producers?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
1. Limited area of UVB emission-essentially the size of a basking area.
2. Produce a lot of extra heat
3. Price

T5 bulb
1. Larger area of UVB
2. Produces a little heat
3. One bulb and its fixture are almost the same price as the HID bulb
4. More real world testing- by TOF members

As a side not depending on the tort and possibility of even minimal outdoor time UVB may not even be needed. Heat and humidity controls are far more important for babies.

cuc228

5 Year Member
1. Limited area of UVB emission-essentially the size of a basking area.
2. Produce a lot of extra heat
3. Price

T5 bulb
1. Larger area of UVB
2. Produces a little heat
3. One bulb and its fixture are almost the same price as the HID bulb
4. More real world testing- by TOF members

As a side not depending on the tort and possibility of even minimal outdoor time UVB may not even be needed. Heat and humidity controls are far more important for babies.
Thanks for the detailed info. I’m in Texas so my tortoises can enjoy sunshine during some warm days in winter(of course in other seasons they can enjoy the great outdoors). As long as HID has no safety problems it seems I can stick to it as basking light.