Hibiscus

AlexandrosP

Location (City and/or State)
Limassol
Hello there, I have a Hibiscus plant but the issue that i am having with it is that i get some black and white parasites on it.
Can someone help me come up with a solution to get rid of them but at the same time keep the leaves and flowers edible for my tortoises?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Hello there, I have a Hibiscus plant but the issue that i am having with it is that i get some black and white parasites on it.
Can someone help me come up with a solution to get rid of them but at the same time keep the leaves and flowers edible for my tortoises?
For plants their are planted outside- initially take a hose with a jet spray and slowly go up and down the branches knocking the bugs off then using diluted dishsoap to spray the plant and coat it. If it is in a pot fill a tub with water and add dish soap mixing thoroughly. Then wrap the pot with a towel so the dirt doesn't come out. Then dunk the whole thing under water for a minute as least a couple of times. Then rinse off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lady bugs, lacewings, and praying mantis.

The bugs won't hurt your tortoise.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Lady bugs, lacewings, and praying mantis.

The bugs won't hurt your tortoise.
I suggested due to an aphid attack I just thwarted on my own plants. They will attack the plant so much it will often have very stunted to almost new leaf growth.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I suggested due to an aphid attack I just thwarted on my own plants. They will attack the plant so much it will often have very stunted to almost new leaf growth.
I understand. I'm suggesting an alternative that doesn't involve spraying soap on my tortoise's food. Your way is probably much more effective, but I'm more comfortable doing it my way without the chemicals.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Hibiscus is awful for being a magnet for every type of plant pest known to man. Hollyhock and other hibiscus relatives as well. Mine constantly have mealybug, aphids, scale insects, white flies, you name it. If they can be kept outside in good weather, the pests are usually kept in check by rain and by predators like ladybugs. Indoors, some pests will absolutely and rapidly kill the plant if you do nothing. It depends on what you have. If you can see actual pinhead sized bugs it's probably aphids. White flies are self explanatory. If it looks like white powder everywhere it could be mealybug. Most pests can be knocked back temporarily with water or mild soap. I am guilty of using soap occasionally, but it doesn't work on scale insects. I don't have a concern with contamination because I don't use soap until the plant is already on death's door, and a lost cause for tortoise food anyways. I also don't think mild soap or detergent is nearly as much concern as pesticides either.

Many of my potted hibiscus species are barely hanging on, the pests were really bad this year when I brought them in for the winter. I'm hoping I can save them all but it's too soon to tell.

Steve

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I understand. I'm suggesting an alternative that doesn't involve spraying soap on my tortoise's food. Your way is probably much more effective, but I'm more comfortable doing it my way without the chemicals.
Totally agree with that. These are for my starter plants that are 2'-3' not my main feeders. For the big bushes just using the jet spray daily seems to work and it doesn't tax the plant as much.

Reactions: Tom