Hibiscus spider mites

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal California
Hi, I've just lost one beautiful double-petal hibiscus to spider mites. My two other hibiscus plants are showing the same yellow spotted symptoms. Does anyone have a tort-friendly solution? The plants are too large & heavy to dunk in a tub. I've been spraying them with hot water from the hose but I think it may be too late.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439840641.743674.jpg

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
For large in the ground plants using 1/4 cup of dish detergent mixed in with water works well. I use Dawn, the original blue formula with no scents etc.

It's important to spray up from underneath as the mites tend to live on the shaded side of the leaf. The soap washes their protective waxy 'skin oil' off and they desiccate. It works best early in the morning when the plants may still have dew on them. Spray until the foliage is dripping with the solution. Start high on the plant and work your way down.

This has worked for me with white fly, thrips, leaf hoppers, scale, and aphids. On roses, ferns, hibiscus, lettuces, squash, and others. You'll have to use it about once a week for several applications. I tried Neem oil, but it costs so much and does not seem to do any better. The soap breaks down in the soil pretty quickly, and regular rinsing under water seems sufficient to make the produce palatable for people and animals.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Use ladie bugs but remember they only stay while the food lasts . And before you set them free spray the bugs down with a 50/50 mix of Pepsi and water they will not be able to fly away for a couple of days until the sugar is washed off !

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I was also going to say to use the soapy water solution. I had aphids or mites of some sort eating up my little mulberry tree and it worked.
I do see those mites on my Hibiscus, also, but they seem to be too healthy to die.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've noticed some yellow spots on one of my Hibiscus also but it doesn't seem to be affecting it. Hope it stays that way.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I was also going to say to use the soapy water solution. I had aphids or mites of some sort eating up my little mulberry tree and it worked.
I do see those mites on my Hibiscus, also, but they seem to be too healthy to die.
Try the ladie bugs.