Hibiscus SEED info. needed please

Thundersnow

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Are all hibiscus safe to feed an Indian Star tortoise? I want to buy seeds and grown my own.Burpee seed company has a large variety.I prefer a perennial.Can anyone please tell me which species of hibiscus is SAFE to feed to my Indian Star tortoise.I found a shortlist on the tortoisetableuk but found none online for sale from the table listed.Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know of no hibiscus that is unsafe for tortoise food.

See if you can find African hibiscus. AKA: rosella or sabdariffa. They LOVE that one.

Thundersnow

Kentucky
I know of no hibiscus that is unsafe for tortoise food.

See if you can find African hibiscus. AKA: rosella or sabdariffa. They LOVE that one.
tom you rock sir.always ready to give great advice to us newbies<3

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It takes some dedication and patience to grow Hibiscus and it's offspring...you can also feed Rose of Sharon which is an off spring of hibiscus, only ROS hibernates and won't freeze. They will reseed themselves and then you need to pull up the small starts and replant where you want a bush/tree to be...once you get some growing and blooming, you can feed like I do...the blooms and leaves of Rose of Sharon...
100_4815.JPG
I have several ROS like this one...
100_4848.JPG
100_4756.JPG
I'm sure a nursery with already sprouted Hibiscus or Rose of Sharon would be a better option than seed. It will take 3 to 5 years to start blooming...
100_4752.JPG