Hibiscus plant?

CharlieS2020

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hi if I were to go out and buy 8 hibiscus plant for some wear could. My tortoise eat the flowers right away or would I have to re plant it. Tortoises love to eat the flowers so I want to get one for my tortoise To have for a meal sometimes. Charlie

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi Charlie, the more I've read about this, the less concerned I am. I see you're in Canada, I don't know the rules there. I live in California, and have come to learn the liability for any 'poison' on the plant sold goes back to the store and nursery. Like if you bought the hibiscus and a little kid ate one of the flowers and got sick, boom, sue the store and the nursery. Many plants here have a proposition 65 warning on them, telling the buyer that there may be 'substances know to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects'.

Aside from that kind of oversight, you might try to buy directly from a nursery and ask them what the history of the plant has been.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I would give any plant you buy a thorough thorough soaking & rinsing off. Id pick any blossoms that are about to bloom and toss those. Any new buds & blossoms personally i would feed (after the good soakings, washings...etc).

CharlieS2020

Ontario
Hi Charlie, the more I've read about this, the less concerned I am. I see you're in Canada, I don't know the rules there. I live in California, and have come to learn the liability for any 'poison' on the plant sold goes back to the store and nursery. Like if you bought the hibiscus and a little kid ate one of the flowers and got sick, boom, sue the store and the nursery. Many plants here have a proposition 65 warning on them, telling the buyer that there may be 'substances know to the state of California to cause cancer or birth defects'.

Aside from that kind of oversight, you might try to buy directly from a nursery and ask them what the history of the plant has been.
thanks i will look into that. but if i were to buy one and it was safe and all i could give charlie the flowers right away?