Hibiscus leaves any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samstar

5 Year Member
My tortoises eat the hibiscus leaves often, is it any good for them? What nutritional value does the leaf have that is beneficial for my torts?

jesst

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
samstar said:
My tortoises eat the hibiscus leaves often, is it any good for them? What nutritional value does the leaf have that is beneficial for my torts?

my little sully loves them....i think more than the actual flower. the whole plant is good for them. i have a potted one in her enclosure so she can grab the leaves whenever she wants too.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The leaves and flowers have many key ingredients for the
digestive and kidney functions. The leaves have an acid, rhubarb-like flavor. …yes I’ve tried them :p
and contain two diuretic ingredients, ascorbic acid and glycolic acid.
Because it also contains citric acid, it can be used as a cooling herb,
providing relief during hot weather by increasing the flow of
blood to the skin's surface and dilating the pores to cool the
skin. The red calyces contain antioxidants including flavonoids, gossypetine, hibiscetine and sabdaretine. The fresh calyces are also rich in riboflavin,ascorbic acid, niacin,carotene, calcium, and iron. The seeds are high in protein….overall it is a wonderful plant for both persons and tort’s alike ~ all of my torts of different species enjoy them.
JD~:)

samstar

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
The leaves and flowers have many key ingredients for the
digestive and kidney functions. The leaves have an acid, rhubarb-like flavor. …yes I’ve tried them :p
and contain two diuretic ingredients, ascorbic acid and glycolic acid.
Because it also contains citric acid, it can be used as a cooling herb,
providing relief during hot weather by increasing the flow of
blood to the skin's surface and dilating the pores to cool the
skin. The red calyces contain antioxidants including flavonoids, gossypetine, hibiscetine and sabdaretine. The fresh calyces are also rich in riboflavin,ascorbic acid, niacin,carotene, calcium, and iron. The seeds are high in protein….overall it is a wonderful plant for both persons and tort’s alike ~ all of my torts of different species enjoy them.
JD~:)

Wow that's a lot, thanks! so little can do so much.

pk2610

5 Year Member
That is a very good source of nutrient in the Hibiscus plant but my tort won't eat it. May be the leaves are kind of hard compared to the other veggies I offer her.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
hibiscus also tends to have good levels of calcium also. great for torts!

Status
Not open for further replies.