Hibiscus bush and trees alive or dead ?

Quadro

Location (City and/or State)
SC
I was just wondering should my hibiscus trees I bought last year along with some bushes be blooming or getting leaves by now ? I live in SC and I planted them last year so they were out all winter long not sure if anyone else has hibiscus out all year or not . I just don’t want to dig them up and toss them if there might be a chance they can be alive cause lord knows my redfoots can put away some hibiscus bushes ? and that isn’t a cheap meal . If not I guess I’ll be buying more to plant and try to keep them inside .

Relic

Here
Depends on what variety: Hardy hibiscus (also known as Rose of Sharon or Althea) which has smaller leaves and flowers, or Tropical hibiscus which has large leaves and large flowers.

The tropical variety will die if freezing weather gets them. The hardy variety is...well...hardy!

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I was just wondering should my hibiscus trees I bought last year along with some bushes be blooming or getting leaves by now ? I live in SC and I planted them last year so they were out all winter long not sure if anyone else has hibiscus out all year or not . I just don’t want to dig them up and toss them if there might be a chance they can be alive cause lord knows my redfoots can put away some hibiscus bushes ? and that isn’t a cheap meal . If not I guess I’ll be buying more to plant and try to keep them inside .
I have perennial Hibiscus here in Baltimore. I cut then down to the ground in the fall, they come back in the spring. Mine are more of a bush than a tree. Give it sometime, mine aren't up yet.

Attachments

• 20170629_122003.jpg
    20170629_122003.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20170710_102531.jpg
    20170710_102531.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 20170710_102337.jpg
    20170710_102337.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

Take your thumb nail and scratch along the stem...the stem should be green inside, if brown...maybe bad...I have over 50 Rose of Sharon and 1 Hibiscus in my yard, for my tortoises...they haven't come out of hibernation yet, the bushes, not the tortoises. Normally they don't start to show new leaves until late spring...here they don't bloom until mid-summer104.JPG103.JPG108.JPG

jeneliza

burton michigan
Depends on what variety: Hardy hibiscus (also known as Rose of Sharon or Althea) which has smaller leaves and flowers, or Tropical hibiscus which has large leaves and large flowers.

The tropical variety will die if freezing weather gets them. The hardy variety is...well...hardy!
I live in Michigan, my rose of Sharron always takes the longest to get leaves, if you want to see iif it's dead, cut a small stem close to the base of the plant if it's still, a little green or moist looking, it's alive if it just brown and dead looking it's dead

jeneliza

burton michigan
I live in Michigan, my rose of Sharron always takes the longest to get leaves, if you want to see iif it's dead, cut a small stem close to the base of the plant if it's still, a little green or moist looking, it's alive if it just brown and dead looking it's dead
Late I will try to get to mine and post a pic, but it flood on this area so I may not b able to get to it for a few days

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I have perennial Hibiscus here in Baltimore. I cut then down to the ground in the fall, they come back in the spring. Mine are more of a bush than a tree. Give it sometime, mine aren't up yet.

Same here. I don’t prune that far back, just trim. I think I’m just starting to see leaf buds turning green. I’ll have to double check.

Id think in SC that one would see leaves by now. Are the branches bendable and pliable? Or brittle?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Take your thumb nail and scratch along the stem...the stem should be green inside, if brown...maybe bad...I have over 50 Rose of Sharon and 1 Hibiscus in my yard, for my tortoises...they haven't come out of hibernation yet, the bushes, not the tortoises. Normally they don't start to show new leaves until late spring...here they don't bloom until mid-summerView attachment 289325View attachment 289326View attachment 289330

Some impressive Rose of Sharon! ??

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I live in GA, just west of you. I've got several Rose of Sharon bushes and right now the leaves are just starting to come out. I usually start getting flowers around the end of May.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I live in VA and lost one bush to odd winter, but my other is budding nicely. BTW just hooked a neighbor up with some of my stash of disenfection solution and she will divide out some of her hibiscus when they get sprouted. She has the go to collection in the neighborhood! Oh the value of a trade!

Quadro

SC

thanks for the info I think they were all tropical I got them all at Lowe’s ? but I’m not sure I kept all the tags I’ll look those over and see.

Quadro

SC
Oh wow okay maybe I’ll give mine some time thanks ?

Quadro

SC
Same here. I don’t prune that far back, just trim. I think I’m just starting to see leaf buds turning green. I’ll have to double check.

Id think in SC that one would see leaves by now. Are the branches bendable and pliable? Or brittle?
Hmm I’ll have to check I think they were brittle but I’ll double check to make sure

Quadro

SC
I live in VA and lost one bush to odd winter, but my other is budding nicely. BTW just hooked a neighbor up with some of my stash of disenfection solution and she will divide out some of her hibiscus when they get sprouted. She has the go to collection in the neighborhood! Oh the value of a trade!
? can’t beat that !!!

Relic

Here
thanks for the info I think they were all tropical I got them all at Lowe’s ? but I’m not sure I kept all the tags I’ll look those over and see.
I get a couple at Lowe's every year. Have a yellowfoot that still turns his/her nose up at the leaves, and will only occasionally eat a flower. But hope springs eternal...

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
I have lots of hibiscus and mine are just now starting to leaf out and I am just west of Houston. I also have several large knock out rose bushes and that provides plenty of rose petals for my Sulcata. They have bloomed off and off all winter.