Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
Right, I'm undecided on wever to hibernate ours or not and this has been on my mind for a little while now!! A very well known tortoise keeper and a strong solid expert in them has told me that whilst I'm out here in Cyprus that it's not worth it and not to bother with it as they will only hibernate for a few days because of the temps out here!! She never hibernated hers whilst she was out here!! She only said to hibernate once we got back to the uk but I've heard it can be bad for them if they don't hibernate!! Do I?? Or shall I just concentrate on still making them big and strong?? Lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Just because the temps outside are not the right ones for hibernating, should not stop you from doing so IF your tortoises are healthy and YOU want to hibernate them and are confident enough to do so (which includes being well read on the do's and don't's). You can hibernate them inside, if the outside world is not conducive to hibernation.

That would also include if you needed to artificially lower light levels and start dropping temperatures to even get them into the mood for hibernating, along with the actual hibernation.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
yoda3106 said:
Right, I'm undecided on wever to hibernate ours or not and this has been on my mind for a little while now!! A very well known tortoise keeper and a strong solid expert in them has told me that whilst I'm out here in Cyprus that it's not worth it and not to bother with it as they will only hibernate for a few days because of the temps out here!! She never hibernated hers whilst she was out here!! She only said to hibernate once we got back to the uk but I've heard it can be bad for them if they don't hibernate!! Do I?? Or shall I just concentrate on still making them big and strong?? Lol

Brumating a tortoise (tortoises really don't hibernate, in the true sense of the word) is absolutely optional, and allowing them to stay awake during winter will not harm them or shorten their lifespan.

Keep 'em warm, feed them well, and enjoy their company. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.