Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmt123

5 Year Member
It is my first year keeping box turtles(easterns) I was just wondering if I should hibernate this year

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I'm gun-shy about hibernation in general, so it might bear waiting for others to respond, too...but I've heard that even people comfortable with hibernating don't typically hibernate hatchlings for the first year (or few), they just bring them in over the winter; I think the young ones are more susceptible to problems during hibernation than adults are.

Even the adults seem to be typically vetted and checked before going into hibernation; only healthy, well-fed (but not obese) ones are allowed to. Again though, I'm sure the others with way more knowledge here will give you the best advice! :)

Mky2k

5 Year Member
Central New Jersey
I would not hibernate any hatchlings, because they die all the time when they hibernate, but if you have a healthy adult, go for it. If you have an out door pen, make sure the ground is soft enough for them to burrow and throw some hay or leave on top, it acts as a really good insulator. If you have an indoor pen, I would do the same.

Tccarolina

10 Year Member!
CA
stillframeband said:
I'm gun-shy about hibernation in general, so it might bear waiting for others to respond, too...but I've heard that even people comfortable with hibernating don't typically hibernate hatchlings for the first year (or few), they just bring them in over the winter; I think the young ones are more susceptible to problems during hibernation than adults are.

Even the adults seem to be typically vetted and checked before going into hibernation; only healthy, well-fed (but not obese) ones are allowed to. Again though, I'm sure the others with way more knowledge here will give you the best advice! :)

Why would you not let an obese turtle hibernate?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Brunation (reptiles brunate, hibernation is what mammals do) is a tricky business. I've brunated my adult box turtles and Iberas for 10+ years now with success. However, don't take it lightly. Read, read, and read more about it. Your torts life depends on how much you know.

Some basic advice that really helped me in the begining:

1. Find out what the freeze line is in your area and make sure they can dig well under that line or you'll lose them.
2. Don't let them get against a concrete block or big rock, these keep the cold and depending on the winter it will act like a freezer and get them too cold.
3. Monitor the temp. I use 2 probes and a regular thermometer. One probe at the bottom of the hole, one mid-way and the last at the top.
4. Make sure you flush their system completely before they go in.

Hope this helps. I can't stress how important the details are for a successful brunation!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I have 6 outside Box Turtles and they all hibernate. We have very cold Winters here and I've never had a problem. I never took in any eggs, and always found some babies in the Spring in the turtle garden, when I had adults. The babies that I have now I'll keep inside until they're at least two years old. I have friends that never take in the babies, and they all do fine. It's up to you to do what ever you're comfortable with.

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
supremelysteve said:
Why would you not let an obese turtle hibernate?

I don't know for sure, I've just read that before...maybe it has to do with liver/kidney function? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.