hibernation

maddie.hawks

Location (City and/or State)
Hampton, London
hi guys titch and maddie here,

I am very worried about not being able to hibernate titch properly this year so I was wondering if any of you could tell me how i hibernate my tortoise as I feel scared as it’s my first time doing it and my Nan never gave us any tips on how to hibernate a tortoise and we have been reading online that you have to not feed them for one month before hibernation but I am very worried to do this as I don’t know what today and it’s 8°C in the UK right now so we’re going to start bringing him in at night and then taking him out during the day as it’s too cold for him but we don’t know what month he goes into hibernation so if you could tell me what to do and when to do it that It would be very much appreciated!!

from maddie ❤️

Moi Hutton

UK
hi guys titch and maddie here,

I am very worried about not being able to hibernate titch properly this year so I was wondering if any of you could tell me how i hibernate my tortoise as I feel scared as it’s my first time doing it and my Nan never gave us any tips on how to hibernate a tortoise and we have been reading online that you have to not feed them for one month before hibernation but I am very worried to do this as I don’t know what today and it’s 8°C in the UK right now so we’re going to start bringing him in at night and then taking him out during the day as it’s too cold for him but we don’t know what month he goes into hibernation so if you could tell me what to do and when to do it that It would be very much appreciated!!

from maddie ❤
Hi Maddie,
I’m also a new owner to an old Greek from grandparents! Also in the UK and worried about hibernation. We put Charlie in the shed over the weekend as it was so cold and night but then sunny in the day. The shed stayed 13degrees and then he basked for four hours in the morning and munched on dandelion leaves.
We are planning on fasting him soon, maybe in a week with the plan to put him in the shed for hibernation at the end of October.
I’d love to hear how you are getting on, it’s a minefield and I’m dreaming about frozen tortoises! The uk can be so cold!
Best wishes,
Moi

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
Hi Maddie,
I’m also a new owner to an old Greek from grandparents! Also in the UK and worried about hibernation. We put Charlie in the shed over the weekend as it was so cold and night but then sunny in the day. The shed stayed 13degrees and then he basked for four hours in the morning and munched on dandelion leaves.
We are planning on fasting him soon, maybe in a week with the plan to put him in the shed for hibernation at the end of October.
I’d love to hear how you are getting on, it’s a minefield and I’m dreaming about frozen tortoises! The uk can be so cold!
Best wishes,
Moi
hey moi and charlie!!!,
thankyou so much for replying, hope you’re well. sounds like we’re in the same situation! :)
we keep titch indoors (i’ll attach a picture) and have just brought him in as he’s been outside all day. thankyou so much for telling me when you’re going to hibernate and fast him! will you feed him at all or is it just no food at all and lots of water? it is so cold now and still in september!!! and yes i’m very scared to check on him one day and find him frozen ahh!!
love to hear back x

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
@JoesMum made an excellent thread on keeping tortoises in the UK, especially in regard to the winter climate. I don't remember what section it's hiding in, though.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@JoesMum made an excellent thread on keeping tortoises in the UK, especially in regard to the winter climate. I don't remember what section it's hiding in, though.
It’s pinned in the tortoise enclosures forum.

Here is a link :)

maddie.hawks

Hampton, London
It’s pinned in the tortoise enclosures forum.

Here is a link :)
thankyou so much, read all of that and i’m very informed! thankyou very much that will help a lot, titch doesn’t really eat much anymore since may and we give him such a variety of food everyday! he may eat during the time he’s outside in the day but there’s not much for him to eat! might have to start weighing him as never knew that was a thing until now!