Hibernation?

snivloc16

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I have an 8 year old hermanns and I was thinking about trying to hibernate him this winter. I have always kept him awake in the past. I’ve read up quite a bit on the subject but the idea of it still makes me a nervous wreck. I can’t decide if I should let him do it naturally in his cold frame section of his outdoor cage or if I should do it inside in a fridge. The winters here in Kansas can be real weird. One week it might be freezing cold with highs in the 20s and another week sunny and highs in the mid 40s. And there might be nights it gets into single digits. So that’s why the outside part scares me He is very healthy, is a little over 5 inches and weighs 528 grams. Any advice or ideas are welcomed.

xMario

Germany
I have an 8 year old hermanns and I was thinking about trying to hibernate him this winter. I have always kept him awake in the past. I’ve read up quite a bit on the subject but the idea of it still makes me a nervous wreck. I can’t decide if I should let him do it naturally in his cold frame section of his outdoor cage or if I should do it inside in a fridge. The winters here in Kansas can be real weird. One week it might be freezing cold with highs in the 20s and another week sunny and highs in the mid 40s. And there might be nights it gets into single digits. So that’s why the outside part scares me He is very healthy, is a little over 5 inches and weighs 528 grams. Any advice or ideas are welcomed.
I dont have experience with hibernating a tortoise but it is highly recommended to use a fridge. It's better cause u can control and maintain the correct temperatures and its safer for the tortoise cause no rats or other animals can injure him.[emoji846]

snivloc16

Kansas
I dont have experience with hibernating a tortoise but it is highly recommended to use a fridge. It's better cause u can control and maintain the correct temperatures and its safer for the tortoise cause no rats or other animals can injure him.[emoji846]

I definitely don’t have to worry about predators. The cage is secure and locked. But I think you’re right on being able to monitor temperature better in fridge. Outdoors who knows what might happen.

snivloc16

Kansas
Ok so after reading a bunch of threads on here I’m definitely going to use the refrigerator method. I’m reading conflicting info on when to stop feeding him. Some say 4 weeks others say only 2. Also what is the best substrate to use in the hibernation box?

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Ok so after reading a bunch of threads on here I’m definitely going to use the refrigerator method. I’m reading conflicting info on when to stop feeding him. Some say 4 weeks others say only 2. Also what is the best substrate to use in the hibernation box?

I'm following this discussion because I'm interested in brumating my rescue Russian this fall.

Jamie

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL

The idea makes me nervous too! I’ve been reading up on the subject a lot, and might try this winter.

snivloc16

Kansas
What is the best substrate to use when hibernating a Hermanns? And when should I stop feeding? I was planning on 2-3 weeks before.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What is the best substrate to use when hibernating a Hermanns? And when should I stop feeding? I was planning on 2-3 weeks before.
I place a whole Sunday newspaper (folded in half) on the bottom of a cardboard box, then a bit of shredded newspaper, then the tortoise then I fill the box up with shredded paper and fold the flaps over, locking them in place. This is for a Russian, as I don't have a Hermanns. The box then goes on a shelf in the garage, where it stays in the lower 40's most of the winter. Since my tortoises are outside, they stop eating on their own. I notice yesterday that the food was still in place, so they have now stopped eating. The weather here is in the 80Fs with nights dipping down to about 50F, but the days are getting shorter, and I feel that's what triggers them to stop eating. Once they have dug in and I don't see them coming out anymore to sun, I'll dig them up and box them up. It will probably be in about 2 or 3 weeks.

Peanut Boy

California
Thanks for posting thisYvonne. I have learned a lot from your posts. You are super and keep posting!