hibernation weights

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
I just dug up my 3 three-toeds. They are not natural to PA, so i want to make sure they are able to hibernate safely. they stopped eating bc of the cold. I had suspected they were not eating well this year, but the Male and the younger female are over the weight they were last year. So i feel safe hibernating them again.

The older female is a good eater but she is less than last year. She was 364g last year. ( she is a small turtle) and today she was 347g. Would you hibernate her? i am not sure what to do. She did well the past 2 winters. But i don't remember where i charted their weight, so i don't know what the first year weight was.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I would , unless I seen her out and about when she shouldn't be ..….if I was suspicious of her health , i'd look for her as soon as they start to surface and bring her in soak her and assess her condition , if I had any doubts with it i'd get her eating and keep her in until i were getting 70 degree days with lows no lower than 50 at night , i'd put back where she could bury herself , where she hibernated , on a nice day …….

Plato Zorba

New Jersey
I just dug up my 3 three-toeds. They are not natural to PA, so i want to make sure they are able to hibernate safely. they stopped eating bc of the cold. I had suspected they were not eating well this year, but the Male and the younger female are over the weight they were last year. So i feel safe hibernating them again.

The older female is a good eater but she is less than last year. She was 364g last year. ( she is a small turtle) and today she was 347g. Would you hibernate her? i am not sure what to do. She did well the past 2 winters. But i don't remember where i charted their weight, so i don't know what the first year weight was.
Colleen, three toeds aren't native to PA but they are to parts of the midwest that experience colder winters I believe. Is this the first winter you've considered allowing them to overwinter naturally outdoors?

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
Colleen, three toeds aren't native to PA but they are to parts of the midwest that experience colder winters I believe. Is this the first winter you've considered allowing them to overwinter naturally outdoors?

i know this. they have hibernated successfully for 2 winters. There are also people on here from Ohio and NY who do it.