Hibernation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
With temps starting to go down here, and change so often what is a good low temp to stop feeding to prepare them for hibernation?? I haven't had to worry about cause my russians always went under in the summer and didn't come back up until spring and this year they all stayed up for the summer. Any suggestions??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only hibernating tortoises that I actually feed are the Russians and box turtles. I offer them more food during September, when it is starting to cool down (but not much cooler). Then in October, I start offering them less food. I never quit feeding them altogether. They've been hibernating longer than I've been alive, so they know what they have to do and when they have to do it. The desert tortoises just graze and they also quit eating when the spirit moves them.

Yvonne

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
If you have your tortoises outside in my experience they would tend to self-regulate, and usually they'd start to eat less and less when the day getting shorter and the high temperature is below 70s. Here in San Jose, CA it usually happens in late October.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Thanks for the info.. I just worry as two of my boxies never stop eating and so far every year I end up bringing them in since they never hibernate.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Jen, I actually stop feeding my torts in mid October. They are outside during the day so if they want to graze they can, but I do not supplement them with any greens after mid Oct. They usually go down about Thanksgiving or when the outside evening temps get about 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.