Hibernation question

juju22

Location (City and/or State)
Paulmy
Hi, my spur-thighed tortoise, Julie is 50+ years old. She came to live with me 6 years ago. She has apparently always hibernated by burying herself in the ground. This year she woke up with a cold, but was ok once I took care of her. I am now worried about her hibernation this year and wonder whether it would be better to hibernate her myself in a box in a constant temperature.My question is ,would this be a safer option or would it stress her to change her habits ? I live in France where the Summers are warm but Winter's cold. She is ready to hibernate now. Many thanks for your advice, I really don't want to lose her over the Winter, but I don't know what is the best thing to do. Thanks so much

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

The main reason torts get RI's during brumation is because the temperature fluctuates too much...hot, cold, hot, cold. When the temp is not cold enough, the tortoise does not truly brumate, and so uses her body resources too much. During brumation, the heart rate and breathing drop to very low levels, and digestion stops. If the temp goes up, she partially wakes and those body functions start up, using her stored resources, only to shut down again when the temp drops. It's a deadly cycle.

So, I went over all that because I would recommend putting her into an operating refrigerator for brumation. You set it to the recommended temp for Greek torts to brumate, and it stays there. No wild variations in temp, no chance for flooding, no possibility for attack by animals, no cave-ins.

I am posting some links for you to read. The first is our care sheet for Greeks (that's what we call the Med spur thighed). The second is to a thread about how to prepare for fridge brumation the proper way.

What I did with my Desert Tortoise was leave him outside until the nights were the same as the fridge temp. I blocked off his burrows so he couldn't get in them, and gave him a doghouse with dirt in it to sleep in as the nights cooled off. When it was cold enough, I went out in the early morning, brought him inside, boxed him up quickly, and slid him in the already set up and running fridge.

All of this was done after at least 2 weeks of no eating to empty his gut of all waste.

Read these, and come back with your questions. We can explain everything you may question or not understand.

Reactions: Tom

juju22

Paulmy
Thank you so much for your reply.

I feel that I should have been a little more careful with Julie, but I was told that she is very independant and looks after herself ! Perhaps not the best advice, although she is quite an old lady.
Our garden is completely closed with high walls and so I have never worried about any problems like flooding, predators etc but I understant about the changes in temperature, humidy and particularly the fact that she can't necessarily bury deep enough.

So following your advice, I shall try the fridge method. My worry is that she may be stressed as she has never hibernated like this before. Do you think this a problem ? This is my greatest concern.

Currently she is very lethargic, and hasn't eaten for at least I week. Temperatures are 9-11°C at night.

I will need to turn on the fridge and monitor the temperature before placing her in it, I have just ordered a thermometre with an alarm.

So following what you have done, I can close off her area to be sure that she doesn't try to eat ( I really don't think that she will) or hibernate for a week. Then I can place her in the fridge once I am sure of its constant temperature. Does that sound about right ?

Should I bathe her again ? I last bathed her 8 days ago.

Thank you so much for all of your help,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Currently she is very lethargic, and hasn't eaten for at least I week. Temperatures are 9-11°C at night.

I will need to turn on the fridge and monitor the temperature before placing her in it, I have just ordered a thermometre with an alarm.

So following what you have done, I can close off her area to be sure that she doesn't try to eat ( I really don't think that she will) or hibernate for a week. Then I can place her in the fridge once I am sure of its constant temperature. Does that sound about right ?

Should I bathe her again ? I last bathed her 8 days ago.

Thank you so much for all of your help,
In the second link from Karen, scroll down to post #19 for specific instructions. Yes on the soaking. You should be soaking every day.

juju22

Paulmy
OK thanks for pointing that out, I've just soaked her and put her back in her corner of the garden, I've closed it so that she can't get out to eat.

juju22

Paulmy
Hi again,

I have 2 more questions if you don't mind. I am so worried about doing the wrong thing .

Firstly, I found the post about climate change adversely affecting hibernation very interesting, a point I had never thought about before.
And I see that effectively, after 10 days of very cold weather ( nights 5°C /43°F) and days ( 14°C/55°F) we are due for much warmer weather next week ( nights 16°C/55°F) and days 21°C/70°F) for aprox 10 days
Should I leave my tortoise outside to enjoy this warmer weather before hibernation ? Despite her being very lethargic and not having eaten for 1 week I would expect her to respond to the warmer weather by more activiity and eating again.

And so my 2nd question is , how long should I put her in the fridge for ? Naturally she has hibernated outdoors from the beginning of October to mid March which I know isfar longer than the recommended length of time.

Thanks so much for your help