Hibernating ?!?

I call my Greek tortoise a Spur Thighed tortoise so yeah don't think I'm crazy x I was wondering If any of you don't let your tortoise hibernate x My tort is now 3 years old and she has never hibernated is this bad ? I don't really want her to hibernate ... Will this affect her in any way thank you for your help xx

From Chlöe Essex,England

ImageUploadedByTortForum1393679913.524969.jpg

From Chlöe Essex,England

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Tortoises don't have to hibernate (brumate). As long as you provide a warm and safe place to live during the cold weather, it will be perfectly fine.

Greektortnamedleo

5 Year Member
This has been a long debated topic. My Iberan is a bit over 8 years old and has yet to be hibernated. Other than slowing down a bit during the winter, regular feedings and maintaining temperature will allow your tort to stay awake for the winter.

rayychh

I could be wrong but i thought not hibernating if they are a hibernating species shortens their life span? That been said i also thought you didnt hibernate them for the first time until they were a few years old?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So here is something that I always bring to mind when someone asks...will my torts life be shortened if I don't hibernate them?

There is no way to know this. Therefore, why mess with what has been created in a certain way?