Hibernating

RainsOn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NE OK
My Russian is an estimated 16 yrs old. Do I need to hibernate him? If so, how? I'm very nervous about using a frig but have no problem with getting a small one just for him - as long as I can get a step by step from the pros on this forum. This does seem to be the only recourse if he needs to hibernate. I have had him about six years and have kept him semi active during the winter with regular soaks and warm terrarium. He tends to sleep more during the winter.
Any help/advice out there for me?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never done the fridge hibernation. I just put my Russians into a cinderblock house that's lined with rigid foam and plywood, packed with leaves and covered (it's on the car port). I gather them up in September, before they dig down and I can't find them, and they spend a month or so in the cinderblock house with the lid propped open. I put out food daily, and when they stop eating, I stop putting out food. After a week or so of them not eating, I give them a good soak in tepid water, then add more leaves and close the lid. I occasionally open the lid throughout the winter and touch a leg to make sure they're all still ok.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
This sounds easy enough. Are you in northern CA or in the mountains? Our winters here in NE OK are not cold until November and we thaw and freeze until mid January. The next couple months thaw and freeze, thaw and freeze. I don't think your system would work here.
Is it really necessary for him to hibernate. I read somewhere that it was not absolutely necessary for Russians - ?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Nope, no tort that can hibernate has to hibernate.
However, you do have to convince a tortoise that senses the days shortening that it isn’t winter.

They will slow down and become less active. It requires very careful management of heat and lights to keep them going until the days get longer.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
I've been fooling him for about six years. I can continue to do so. I am relieved to find out it won't harm him to do this. I can keep him awake just afraid I could not wake him up after hibernating. I have my answer. Thanks everyone! ;)

Farcryjj

5 Year Member
My russian would stop eating and just sleep in some years, and not sleep in other years. He lives in a closed enclosure all year long with daily monitored exercise on a clean floor. In the years that he couldn't wake up in a week, we put him in a fridge. He has always been fine through the hibernation. The longest I left him in the fridge is 3 months. He barely lost 10g last time during the hibernation and he was at 580g. I think russian is super tough. :)