Hibernating Russian tortoise naturally

Carlos-NL

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hello all, Could somebody please explain this: For hibernating tortoises like Horsfieldii almost everybody says you need to maintain a consistent temperate between 38 - 42 for hibernating them and there are those 2 different methods of box hibernation or fridge hibernation. I don't understand the concept of consistent temperature, because in nature in their environment the day and night temperatures could vary for as much as between 28 and 42. Can you explain?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, I can:

A hibernating tortoise isn't laying on the ground where you say the temperatures vary for as much as between 28 and 42. He has dug himself down below the frost line where the underground temperature is more stable with not much variation.

Carlos-NL

Netherlands
Yes, I can:

A hibernating tortoise isn't laying on the ground where you say the temperatures vary for as much as between 28 and 42. He has dug himself down below the frost line where the underground temperature is more stable with not much variation.
I live in the Netherlands where winter temperatures are between 18 to 35 degrees. Does that mean it's safe to let my russian hibernate naturally in the basement of the house where she can dig herself under the ground in the soil?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in the Netherlands where winter temperatures are between 18 to 35 degrees. Does that mean it's safe to let my russian hibernate naturally in the basement of the house where she can dig herself under the ground in the soil?
I agree with what Yvonne said.

If the temperature several centimeters deep in the dirt in your basement stays a consistent 38-42F, then yes, you could hibernate your Russian tortoise there. They must be protected from freezing. It must never get below around 35F, at the depth where the tortoise is slumbering.

Last edited:

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
In addition to making sure the temperature range is safe, you also need to make very sure that rodents (rats or mice) can't get anywhere near your tortoise. If they have access, they could chew in the hibernating tortoise and potentially kill it.

There is a third option. A lot of Germans take this route, and some here in the US. If you have a garden space (or dirt in the basement, I guess, as long as there is no danger of flood), you could do this too: create a hibernation pit. Dig a 1 meter x 1 meter x 1 meter hole. Line it with cement pavers on all sides, then line it with 'Styrodur' insulation boards. Then backfill with dirt, leaving about 15cm space at the top. Make a lid, also insulated. Potentially, run heat cable on the lid, or a heat mat. Get an Inkbird ITC308 to control the heat, this is to prevent frost. Set it to kick in if the temps sink below 3°C.
Once the tortoise has dug down, cover the air space between dirt and lid with dry oak leaves (maple works too).
Once your tortoise has dug down