Hibernating my 11-year-old for the first time

Per Ehn

Hello dear tortoise enthusiasts!

As the title says, I’m on my way to hibernate my dear Idamia for the first time this winter. I haven’t attempted this until now because I haven’t had the right equipment or knowledge (or guts) to try it until now.

So far, I’ve been lowering the amount of hours that the lights are on (I’ve been following a schedule I found online), bought a fridge that can maintain 5 degrees Celsius, bought a mailing-weigh to keep track of her weight loss and prepared a couple of boxes for her to spend the winter in.

Since it is her first time I’ll try to keep it at four weeks, and then raise it following years depending on how well she does.

Here are a couple of clips of my setup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/7qW-OltF8V/
https://www.instagram.com/p/7scwLCtF1M/

What are your guys’ thoughts so far? Am I doing well? Could I improve in any way? The fridge is of in the images, but it can maintain the right temperature without problems.

Many thanks in advance!
/// Per & Idamia

Note: I keep calling her a “she” but she is actually a male, in case it matters in this case!

Attachments

• DSC_0072.JPG
    DSC_0072.JPG
    989 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0073.JPG
    DSC_0073.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    937.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0068.JPG
    DSC_0068.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 13

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I like to do soaks every other day for about a week to a week and a half before I start shortening the days and cooling things. I continue the soaks right up until hibernation. All total, I spend about 3-4 weeks emptying them out, hydrating them and dropping the temps and light cycles. Then I set the fridge to be a bit warm and gradually bring it down. I think 5 C is perfect for the majority of hibernation, but to go from room temp to 5 C is a big sudden drop.

Adults can hibernate for 16 weeks with no problem. 4 weeks seems pretty short. I normally do 12-14. Might I suggest at least 6-8 weeks for your first time?

I simply reverse the process when bringing them out of hibernation, but I move a little faster when bringing them up. I think the soaks and hydration are an important aspect.

Per Ehn

Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll make sure to soak her more often than I regularly do then. (I usually soak her about once per week, but she always has fresh water available so I'm not sure how much she soaks while I'm away).
Yeaah four weeks might be a little short but I've read somewhere that four weeks is good for babies hibernating for the first time, and since Idamia have never hibernated maybe that would be a good start?

Is there any chance that her natural instincts won't kick in now that she's lived for 11+ years in constant summer?

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Thanks for the quick reply!
I'll make sure to soak her more often than I regularly do then. (I usually soak her about once per week, but she always has fresh water available so I'm not sure how much she soaks while I'm away).
Yeaah four weeks might be a little short but I've read somewhere that four weeks is good for babies hibernating for the first time, and since Idamia have never hibernated maybe that would be a good start?

Is there any chance that her natural instincts won't kick in now that she's lived for 11+ years in constant summer?
An year ago I had have hibernated a Russian tortoise which is 30+ years old and never have been hibernated before. If You do it properly no worries Your tortoise is going to be fine :).