tpass09

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello,
This is my first post so bare with me! We are soon adopting a horsefield tortoise (our first tortoise). Its all been very last minute, but I've done plenty of research. However, due to the time of year (November), the tortoise has gradually stopped eating and so hasn't eaten for 2 weeks. I'm too get her soon. Should I continue the hibernation process or stop the process and overwinter her?
She's 5 years old if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help!
Tom.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
I would think that if the tort is hybernating now and it is moved, that will disturb the hibernation. In that case, I would wake it and wait till next year to try. That is just my thoughts. I don’t know if they will go back into hibernation once they are disturbed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's not a good idea to hibernate a new tortoise. You need to learn more about it. To be sure it's healthy enough, etc before it hibernates. We never recommend hibernating a new tortoise it's first season unless you have had it for most of the year.
So, keep him up and ask whoever has it now to bump up the temp and leave lights on longer and make sure it's a well lite enclosure.