Hi!

hoopytortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
They have cheap hygrometers on ebay with remote sensors. Temp tends to be in C, but converting is easy. Take temp in C, double it. Subtract 10%. Add 32. Can do in head easy that way. So 29.2 C is 58.4. Minuse 5.8 is 52.6 plus 32 is 84.6F. EASY PEASY!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-LCD...166298?hash=item3ab941479a:g:6yQAAOSwCQNWcnNk
LOL Brian.... that is definitely not easy for me. Infact I'm so terrible at math I just gave myself a headache thinking about trying to do that in my head.

hoopytortoise

Missouri
My Tortoise arrived today. I know I was told that since he has mis scutes he is most likely a she... but I get a boy vibe from him. Upon arriving he seemed cold. So I took I put him to soak under the lights in his enclosure. After about 5 min he finally came out of his shell and is being super active. In the little bit of water.

Attachments

• 1470752985801.jpg
    1470752985801.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 11

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hello and welcome from Texas! I jumped into tortoise keeping (Redfooted) little over a year ago. Got couple of hatchlings for my then 10.5 yr old daughter from some random place i found online before i knew about this forum. I love my baby Grand-torts, and have really been enjoying this forum. Hope your experience is equally positive. Great to have you here! Looking forward to seeing you around here.

hoopytortoise

Missouri
Hello and welcome from Texas! I jumped into tortoise keeping (Redfooted) little over a year ago. Got couple of hatchlings for my then 10.5 yr old daughter from some random place i found online before i knew about this forum. I love my baby Grand-torts, and have really been enjoying this forum. Hope your experience is equally positive. Great to have you here! Looking forward to seeing you around here.
Thank you ! :)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
My Tortoise arrived today. I know I was told that since he has mis scutes he is most likely a she... but I get a boy vibe from him. Upon arriving he seemed cold. So I took I put him to soak under the lights in his enclosure. After about 5 min he finally came out of his shell and is being super active. In the little bit of water.
Welcome to the wonderful world of tortoise keeping.

hoopytortoise

Missouri
He is fast. I am a bit concerned because he keeps flipping himself over. Like he will go to a wall trying to climb it and then boom on his shell again. Then goes and nibbles on food or sits in water and tries the wall again and boom on back. It's making me a nervous wreck.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Yeah, i can imagine.
Some do this.
Make sure he can get in and out of his water bowl easily and it isn't deep enough for him to drown in.
Make sure he doesn't flip and get stuck directly under his basking lamp or heat lamp as this can be disastrous.
Hopefully, he'll soon settle down a bit.