Hi, we're new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tortulover

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I kept tortoises many years ago but re-homed them to a turtle program. Raised kids, moved country, and decided it was time for another tort, so I started my search about a year ago. I have now found a beautiful baby red foot and have had her a week. This could be addictive! I am already thinking about a sibling for company!!
Found this site by accident, I wasn't looking for one, but think I will enjoy it here. Have already been reading posts and looking at pics.
Bye for now!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tortulover:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Yes, its very addictive. There aren't too many of us here who only have one.

What would you like us to call you?

...and may we know appx. where in the world you are?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D You stumbled on to the right place to talk torts and get great info. Also a place that loves pics, hint, hint:D

Tortulover

5 Year Member
NC
We live in NC.
I bought the enclosure with the tortoise, from a reptile guy who I thought knew what he was doing. Now from all I have been reading I think her enclosure is all wrong. She's been inactive since I got her. She didn't have a heat lamp only 2 reptigrow bulbs of 5 and 2w.
I've now taken the lid off of her Exoterra terrarium and she is moving around! Seems I need to re think the whole habitat thing. I put her in a warm bath and she put her whole head under water. Do they drink that way? She looked like she was swallowing.
I had Greeks in the UK, much different way to keep them there. They didn't live indoors, only to hibernate in the roof, so really this is all new to me.
The guy told me to put repashi calcium on her food, so I ordered that and now not sure she needs it! She had a few bites of strawberry after her bath. She has a little organic spring mix each day, I have seen her eating that now. She also had a meal worm. he did say protein only once a month but I was eager to watch her eat something after 3 days of nothing.

The terrarium has some clay coloured balls in the bottom and about 4 inches of stuff on top. Plants are buried in it and he said it doesn't have to be cleaned out as its an eco system. I was told to spray it well every day but it was very dry. Instinct told me to water it so I did.
I need a trip to the big store tomorrow for thermometer and hydrometer. What else should I get ? Please???

Tillasaurus

5 Year Member
Hi. I have only been on the forum for a few weeks but If that is a hatchling sulcata on your avatar, I can tell you that you should get rid of the meal worm and search for anything related to sulcatas posted by Tom (the dog trainer), including a helpful post titled "Beginner Mistakes" or "Mistakes I made so you don't have to." If I could better negotiate the forum, I would attach it for you (perhaps someone else will do so for you). At any rate, it was extremely helpful to me. Best, Kathleen

Tortulover

5 Year Member
NC
Thanks for the welcomes.
Tillasaurus - I don't know who you are talking to, but obviously not me.

Status
Not open for further replies.