Hi! We're new to the forum

thebrewcrew

Location (City and/or State)
Poquoson, Virginia
We're so new, we a) don't know what kind of tortoise we are and b) are seemingly incapable of working the site! Here is my tortoise. He/She was found in a parking lot near a park and was given to me because I have a fenced yard. Any help would be appreciated!!
TIA,
Sandi

IMG-1313.JPG

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
That is definintely not a VA wild born tortoise- IMHO I think its a Burmese Mountain Tortoise and probably has a owner desperately looking for them. Check local vet Offices as well a with Animal Control to see if someone has made a report. In the meantime please offer a shallow bowl of water and make sure they have plenty of shade to saty out of the sun. Good Luck

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Its the nails that are a huge clue. Look are even they are- that was done on purpose not from wear and tear. Thanks for doinga good thing!

Reactions: Kez

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good call, Blackdog!

This tortoise originally comes from the rainforest in Thailand. There are two subspecies more commonly kept here, the Manouria emys emys (Asian forest tortoise) and the Manouria emys phayrei (Asian mountain tortoise). They are totally unsuited for the climates here in the states unless their yards were made rain forest-like. Please advertise "found tortoise" but don't give out too much information. Let the callers and responders tell YOU what kind of tortoise it is. No one has this tortoise by mistake. It was purchased specifically, and fairly rare in the pet trade.

You can set it up and feed it similar to how you would care for box turtles. Well planted yard with lots of shade, fruit and vegetables with a bit of animal protein. In the wild they eat taro leaves, banana tree leaves, etc.

thebrewcrew

Poquoson, Virginia
Good call, Blackdog!

This tortoise originally comes from the rainforest in Thailand. There are two subspecies more commonly kept here, the Manouria emys emys (Asian forest tortoise) and the Manouria emys phayrei (Asian mountain tortoise). They are totally unsuited for the climates here in the states unless their yards were made rain forest-like. Please advertise "found tortoise" but don't give out too much information. Let the callers and responders tell YOU what kind of tortoise it is. No one has this tortoise by mistake. It was purchased specifically, and fairly rare in the pet trade.

You can set it up and feed it similar to how you would care for box turtles. Well planted yard with lots of shade, fruit and vegetables with a bit of animal protein. In the wild they eat taro leaves, banana tree leaves, etc.
Thank you so much for the additional info! He’s a terrific house guest, patrolling the yard and generally looking badass.
I’ve spoken with the gal that found him and she assured me that there are no houses around where he was found. It was as if someone got tired of caring for him. Which is quite sad.
I am concerned with, if an owner is not found, what to provide for him as the cooler weather approaches. Can he live outdoors?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you so much for the additional info! He’s a terrific house guest, patrolling the yard and generally looking badass.
I’ve spoken with the gal that found him and she assured me that there are no houses around where he was found. It was as if someone got tired of caring for him. Which is quite sad.
I am concerned with, if an owner is not found, what to provide for him as the cooler weather approaches. Can he live outdoors?
Hi, you have come to the right place for information on how to look after him and lucky for the tort that he has found someone who cares.
Tortoises can roam for miles so he may not have come from the immediate vicinity of where he was found.
I hope that you find his owner but if not welcome to the wonderful world of torts!!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
If you can’t find an owner I know I would gladly drive up to you from RICHMOND to get him. If the owners were away on vacation he could have wanders miles in even just a weeks time

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Looks like something bad happened a while ago. Just to be safe clean the are like any wound- gently with water and a touch of soap. Inspect the are without any debris in it and take a photo. It may just need a little smear of neosporin or even no action at all. Otherwise the tort seems very alert and active and doesn't seem to mind the attention! You are doing an awesome thing!