Hi there!

saracheri

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Just joined today,so looking forward to reading and learning more about all our sweet tortoise friends! I have a hermanns hatchling and a leopard hatchling and both seem to be doing well,active and eating regularly. I was already growing alfalfa sprouts organic romaine and other lettuces in an Aerogarden garden and they are eating some of that along with Mazuri pellets. I am wondering if anyone else is doing this or if anyone here thinks this is ok for them. I saw that "cat grass" at Petsmart other day and may get some of that next time I go. I also have an 11 yr sulcata I raised from a hatchling. His name is Stoney and he perfect and fantastic! :tort::<3::cool: He mainly grew up eating grass in the yard,mazuri,lettuce. I want to get him on some orchard grass this spring if he will go for it. (pretty spoiled).

IMG_0139.JPGIMG_0070.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. You got yourself a very nice looking torts there. Welcome ! ! !

saracheri

East Texas
Awww! so cute! :<3: Mine always surprises me when he climbs over stuff I didn't think he could! lol He climbed in and made mincemeat outa my husbands rose garden.;) good thing my husband had his priorities straight,and didn't mind so much.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hello & Welcome! You’ve got a nice lookin crew! Do you know how much your Sully weighs now at 11?.

saracheri

East Texas
Hello & Welcome! You’ve got a nice lookin crew! Do you know how much your Sully weighs now at 11?.
Hi! Thanks! I just weighed him and he's 45 lbs. I have a wagon that we carry him around in when need be,and ramps on the doors. He lets himself in and out the porch in summer. He's been inactive living in the house all winter and this week its warming up here and he's starting to move around now. I put him out in the yard for a couple days and he started munching on the grass a little. ;) It's always so much fun to see him go back in the yard in the sunshine and start "marching" around again. He knows his name and will come if we call him when he's active. We adore him! :<3::tort:

AlfalfaAlfie

California
Hi! I’m a new member as well! Just joined today. Your tortoise is so cute! If I may ask, do you have a specific reason for naming Stoney? It fits him really well!

saracheri

East Texas
Hi. Well,he smokes a lot of weed. Naa,just kidding :cool: Actually no particular reason..there's a local country music singer around here named that and I just thought it was cute. These big tortoises sorta look like a huge stone when they are sitting still in the yard. It is hard to come up with unique names! Do you have some turtles or tortoises?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Hi! Thanks! I just weighed him and he's 45 lbs. I have a wagon that we carry him around in when need be,and ramps on the doors. He lets himself in and out the porch in summer. He's been inactive living in the house all winter and this week its warming up here and he's starting to move around now. I put him out in the yard for a couple days and he started munching on the grass a little. ;) It's always so much fun to see him go back in the yard in the sunshine and start "marching" around again. He knows his name and will come if we call him when he's active. We adore him! :<3::tort:
I see your a fellow east Texan so you can’t be too far from me! There is a lot of incorrect info passed around with hatchlings so I’m really glad you have joined... this forum helped me start two hatchlings and then I went and adopted one that needed a new home.. have you seen the threads on Toms heated house? I’m concerned that your sully may not have enough heat... at 11, I’m thinking he should be a bit bigger... I have built two of these night boxes now and my torts love them.. they are very smart about using them.. let me see if I can attach you some links;~}

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

Last edited:

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

saracheri

East Texas
I see your a fellow east Texan so you can’t be too far from me! There is a lot of incorrect info passed around with hatchlings so I’m really glad you have joined... this forum helped me start two hatchlings and then I went and adopted one that needed a new home.. have you seen the threads on Toms heated house? I’m concerned that your sully may not have enough heat... at 11, I’m thinking he should be a bit bigger... I have built two of these night boxes now and my torts love them.. they are very smart about using them.. let me see if I can attach you some links;~}
Yes I live in Tyler/Lindale area. I had my dates mixed up..we got Stoney late summer of 2011 so he is only 8 right now. I would appreciate any links you think I could use and will look for Tom's thread. We have been keeping him indoors in winter so far,but have been wondering what we will do as he gets bigger to keep him comfortable. Thanks! btw,have you noticed there are hardly any box turtles around here anymore? Just a couple years ago I was finding them all over (we live near lots of woods) and this year not one. I wonder if they are leaving for warmer climate/winters ?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Yes I live in Tyler/Lindale area. I had my dates mixed up..we got Stoney late summer of 2011 so he is only 8 right now. I would appreciate any links you think I could use and will look for Tom's thread. We have been keeping him indoors in winter so far,but have been wondering what we will do as he gets bigger to keep him comfortable. Thanks! btw,have you noticed there are hardly any box turtles around here anymore? Just a couple years ago I was finding them all over (we live near lots of woods) and this year not one. I wonder if they are leaving for warmer climate/winters ?
I have noticed!!!! We used to See them crossing the road all the time in the spring and now they are much fewer and farther in between... just across the state line in the tri state area, they seem to be more plentiful!

I have a sister in Lindale... I am hoping to visit their new dog park soon...
I’m definitely no expert tortoise keeper...everything I know I’ve learned from here.... it took me half an hour just to attach links ?. Lol

AlfalfaAlfie

California
Hi. Well,he smokes a lot of weed. Naa,just kidding :cool: Actually no particular reason..there's a local country music singer around here named that and I just thought it was cute. These big tortoises sorta look like a huge stone when they are sitting still in the yard. It is hard to come up with unique names! Do you have some turtles or tortoises?
Haha, it is pretty hard to find a suitable name. Yes, I do have a tortoise! His name is Alfie and he is an ibera greek tortoise. Stoney is such a handsome tortoise! Do you have to feed him a lot?

saracheri

East Texas
Haha, it is pretty hard to find a suitable name. Yes, I do have a tortoise! His name is Alfie and he is an ibera greek tortoise. Stoney is such a handsome tortoise! Do you have to feed him a lot?
Thanks! He eats quite a bit,but mainly just when it's really hot outside. During winter he sort of hibernates (indoors) and doesn't eat much at all.. He eats a lot of weeds & grass and I was last summer feeding him corn on cob (which he loves) till I found out it's bad for him so he doesn't get that anymore. He's pretty pissed about it too. He's so far this year eating clover and grass with occasional turnip greens and other veggies,but the yard is not huge and he's running out of that soon. I'm trying to get him eating orchard hay but he is turning up his nose and stomping around looking for corn and greens! I guess I will have to use some tough love and let him get real hungry and then offer him the hay mixed with greens again. He is spoiled because I adore him and spend a lot of attention on him,and he can show a real attitude when he doesn't get his way. lol