Hi there from Seattle, WA!

ecallaghan

Location (City and/or State)
Seattle, WA
Hi from Seattle!

My 9 year old is looking for a small tortoise that will stay small. Does anyone know what type of tortoise that I should be looking for or where I can find one?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Erin

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Egyptians are tiny too.. but $$$!

Just a heads up, every species requires a lot of room in their own enclosure (a minimum of 6ft x 8ft) and they are honestly kind of boring as pets. If you find an adult, you can enjoy watching it eat and walk around, but the adorable babies burrow down and sleep 20+ hours a day. Personally, that's why I like them (very calming!) but that may be disappointing to someone younger. As long as you're okay with becoming the tortoise's keeper, welcome to the club :)

Do a lot of reading around the forum and get your enclosure set up before buying the tortoise. That will give you time to read about the different species and then determine what your temperatures and humidity should be at. Setting it all up can be a really cool experience in itself. Once you're ready for the tortoise, we have a section dedicated to vendor reviews so you if you buy online, you know it's a trusted place. There's also a section where you can post a wanted ad.

Generally, you should avoid pet stores because their tortoise sales are unethical.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Actually, Burmese Stars are considered medium sized. They grow fairly slowly, but females grow to 10-12", and males to 9.5". Indian Stars are about the same size, males slightly smaller.

Russians or Egyptians are smaller. But yes, Egyptians are really expensive.

CrunchyBrother

Bellingham
Hi from Seattle!

My 9 year old is looking for a small tortoise that will stay small. Does anyone know what type of tortoise that I should be looking for or where I can find one?

Thanks for your help!

Best,
Erin
I'm up in Bellingham and got a Russian due to their small size and humidity/heat requirements being easy to maintain (with lamps) in our climate. Mine is pretty friendly, he recognizes my husband and i when we walk in the room (food) and is fairly low maintenance other than ensuring his diet and surroundings are correct.

Im not experienced enough to give advice but you may want yo explore the possibility of a Russian tortoise and see how they fit your circumstances long term.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I'm up in Bellingham and got a Russian due to their small size and humidity/heat requirements being easy to maintain (with lamps) in our climate. Mine is pretty friendly, he recognizes my husband and i when we walk in the room (food) and is fairly low maintenance other than ensuring his diet and surroundings are correct.

Im not experienced enough to give advice but you may want yo explore the possibility of a Russian tortoise and see how they fit your circumstances long term.
I'm probably biased. but Hermans are much the same size as Russians, need similar care, and are not such dedicated escape artists as Russians !
Angie

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Erin, and welcome to the Forum!

Any small species you decide upon still requires a lot of space to live in. Thinking you'll get a small tortoise and keep it in an aquarium just isn't correct. Lots of walking keeps them healthy, aids digestion, etc. They are hard-wired to wander great distances looking for food, and even though you are providing food and they don't need to wander, it's just something they must do.