Hi thank you for letting me in

hshar1

Hi, sorry for the late introduction after you let me join, things have all been a bit manic here as we prep ready for our adopted tortoise's arrival on Saturday in between work and all of the ordinary stuff we do!

I grew up with various family members having tortoises but haven't been involved in their care for many years. We are a household of marine fish, tree frogs and geckos. Last Thursday we agreed to adopt a 42 year old tortoise from an elderly friend of my parents who has put some thought into the long term care for the future rather than wait for the worst to happen and it be left homeless should something happen to her. We don't know what type it is or even it's sex just that she has had it 42 years and was a baby when she got it. It is moving to my parents today for a few days ready for us to collect it, so I have asked for information to help us identify the breed and learn more about it, and we have been reading like mad to ensure we have everything ready. We are told the length of the shell is 11.5 inches and height is 6 inches, we have some photos but they are not very good and we know he doesn't hibernate. Any tips for the immediate re homing and any long term tips welcome too xx

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Welcome. That's a Greek tortoise. We will need to see pictures of the plastron(underside) to determine the sex. Where are you located? Greeks are great at living outdoors. Especially during the summer. They eat lots of various grasses and weeds. They are a hibernating species, but you don't have to hibernate them.

hshar1

Hi, thanks for that, we had thought Greek, we have no pictures of the underside yet, it is a bit like give us a clue, we ask questions and get answers every day which prompt more questions! Spent lots of time researching and building so it will be nice when he arrives so we can sit and watch him to relax after all the hard work!
We are building an enclosure for outside and he is bringing a hide/hut with a lamp that he currently lives in inside his present home as he lives in the conservatory and prowls the garden in the day. We are just outside Northampton, England.

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here. Welcome....

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Wait a minute, who let you in? When was this decided? (J/K) :)
Salutations, nice looking greek you got there.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO
From AZ, USA . Greeks are great torts . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403045534.121004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

hshar1

Wait a minute, who let you in? When was this decided? (J/K) :)
Salutations, nice looking greek you got there.
I like a sense of humour! We are getting impatient for the arrival now, Saturday is 3 sleeps away my 5 year old daughter is ticking them off!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
No I'm saying mine isn't 42 I'm sorry , maybe mine will get that old ! Have a great tort day !

hshar1

No I'm saying mine isn't 42 I'm sorry , maybe mine will get that old ! Have a great tort day !

Oh sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you had seen something that as a novice I didn't know to look for.

I think I am going to panic about things for a while, we know that in the Uk in the 70's many people had tortoise, but with no real care advice and they were not cared for correctly and the food they were given was appalling!
A lot were wild caught too, and I think in my mind because he is old and from that era we worry that he may have been part of that an who knows what he has lived through. We know the diet he has been fed as not been the best and I am finding it hard to ask about him without shouting when they tell me things that shouldn't have happened. I keep reminding myself that when my father's friend got him, there simply wasn't the information available that we have to fall back on today.

My dad doesn't get it, thinks we're making a lot more fuss than we need to, ours didn't have all of that when you were little, I am resisting the no dad, that's probably why it died in hibernation!

Enjoy your day out there and I hope that all of these creatures we are caring for have long healthy lives as we all share experience and try our best.

Durhamstyle

What an amazing story that tortoise could tell.
I worry what will happen to my tortoise , if my husband and I should pass away. We are planning to set up a Will to ensure the animals are cared for when we die.
Best of luck to you. So exciting.

hshar1

What an amazing story that tortoise could tell.
I worry what will happen to my tortoise , if my husband and I should pass away. We are planning to set up a Will to ensure the animals are cared for when we die.
Best of luck to you. So exciting.
We are very excited, less than 24 hours now! Eek!