Hi. Newbie Sulcata Tortoise mom here

emablue

Location (City and/or State)
Davie, FL
Hi, I'm Star, mom of 2 humans and pet-mom to several.

I got my first little Sulcata Tortoise, Terra, a few weeks ago. Here she is enjoying some greens. She isn't very friendly yet. No pet! No Pick up! Hide my head from you! Wait... is that Broccoli?

She is eating and walking her enclosure though and I think she is getting used to the new stuff and weird feathered things (She is in part of the Chicken Run until she gets bigger and the dogs get used to her).

IMG_5368[1].JPG

I'll be mulching the run for her this weekend and have already set up a covered area/cave, water and things to climb and things NOT TO CLIMB. (I have used pavers and built her a temporary wall) Once she gets bigger, I have plans to make a more permanent structure to keep her safe. :)

I also have a couple Bearded Dragons (Roxy and Linda), 3 Dogs (German Shepard Service Dogs: Callie and Eris (retired), and Cora aka The Belly, who is a Great Pyrenees), some rescue ferrets (Tony, Bucky and Nate) and a flock of chickens and ducks.

Nice to meet you.

Esther aka Star

emablue

Davie, FL
Thank you. I've been reading the thread above and noting some of the differences from other sources I researched:
75% grasses/weeds, 25% other greens. Broccoli was mentioned as ok in the 25% category. Sulcata's are new to me, so I'm still learning and grateful for the correction. :)

xphare

Denver
Well I stand corrected! :D I don't feed it but hey everyone's different!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Thank you. I've been reading the thread above and noting some of the differences from other sources I researched:
75% grasses/weeds, 25% other greens. Broccoli was mentioned as ok in the 25% category. Sulcata's are new to me, so I'm still learning and grateful for the correction. :)

The other site was incorrect. Broccoli does more harm than good. Many of the store bought greens from the Brassicaceae plant family contains a harmful property called goitrogen that can cause liver and kidney issues in tortoises. Fruit is also generally not recommended because of how it disrupts the natural gut flora in tortoises, which can in turn cause liver damage.

Tortoises and other animals also do not mix. Other pets and outdoor critters attacking and fatally injuring tortoises is a very common reported occurrence in this website. I believe there were 3 incidents reported in October alone. 1x turtle, 2x tortoises from coyotes, a dog, and something else (may have been another dog*) I might have missed.

Pets that do not initially show a keen interest in the tortoises may later displays signs of aggression for whatever reasons. Tortoises themselves are also very territorial and will attempt to bully other animals as they get older. As a precaution many of us in this forum strongly recommend housing a single tortoise in a separate predator proof enclosure and away from other pets. They should not share any space with any other animal.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Star and Terra, read all the care threads and diet. I am sure another member will forward them to you. (I haven't figured out how to do it). Just some heads up you will find you will need a completely enclosed living area. This is to hold in the humidity. If you notice the scutes on Terra's shell are starting to raise. This is called pyramiding and if not kept in check could cause problems later for Terra. Humidity helps keep the shell from pyramiding. Also daily soaks in warm water for 30minutes a day are a must. You will be asked for pics of your enclosure so more knowledgeable members will suggest what you need. But this is a great forum. Don't take anything as criticism but as suggestions from members with vast info to help you raise Terra correctly. Good luck, Terra will bring you so much joy.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Star!