Hi! New tort owner

Tonysoil78

Location (City and/or State)
Zachary
My family and I are now owners of a little spurred tort. We live in southeast Louisiana.

We have an acre in a rural area and 1/4 acre is designated to chickens. Does anyone have cons of raising an adult tortoise with or near chickens? They are, for the most part, confined to their own yard but a few do free range.

Screenshot_20190501-132416.png

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hello and welcome! I think you will be advised not to let the tortoise and the chickens be together, for a number of reasons.
All the best! More pics would be nice.:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome! You should be referring to your new little tortoise as a "sulcata" not a spurred tortoise. When you use that designation it might be confused with a Greek tortoise, which is also called a spur thighed tortoise.

Because tortoises are grazers, it's not a good idea to allow them to be on the same "pasture" as chickens, because chickens poop on the grass the tortoise will be eating.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Greetings!
The :tort: needs its own seperate & secure enclosure. Otherwise it will probably dine on chicken poop every chance it gets.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I thought in Louisiana it was law that you have to treat your tort to Burbon St . Just kidding
But I do grind my egg shells in to a powder and give that to my torts for Calcium.[emoji217]

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Congrats on your baby sulcata! From what I've read, you should keep your chickens separate due to the fact that they will be pooping everywhere, and your sulcata would eat that grass and be exposed to bacteria, etc. sounds like you have lots of avialable space fo rhim to roam once he grows up, so I am sure he will be happy! Best of luck to you!