Hi! New to tortoise care and the forum!

waldinj27

Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi everyone!

My name is Jeanna, and I am new to the Tortoise Forum. I am thinking of getting a Russian, but I have some concerns.

The first thing I noticed was all of the conflicting information on everything from substrate to lighting and soaking. Needless to say, it is easy to get lost in all of the information, but at least here it seems to be more consistent! Where would you suggest is the best place to get reliable information aside from the forum?

I also am adamant about getting captive bred. However, it is difficult to tell whether what people are selling is captive bred or not. What is the best way to confirm that they are captive bred? Who are some reliable breeders of Russians?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help!!

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

I think your best bet is to read the guides to keeping tortoises here on TFO for Russian Tortoises (or whichever type you decide on) and supplement carefully with information from other sources ... I spent a lot of time and energy getting contradictory information on various websites and in groups on FB, but think the people and caresheets are generally more experienced and less just passing along outdated or unfounded information.

Jamie

waldinj27

Wisconsin
Welcome to TFO!

I think your best bet is to read the guides to keeping tortoises here on TFO for Russian Tortoises (or whichever type you decide on) and supplement carefully with information from other sources ... I spent a lot of time and energy getting contradictory information on various websites and in groups on FB, but think the people and caresheets are generally more experienced and less just passing along outdated or unfounded information.

Jamie

Thank you for your help! I have found some care sheets on here and they are very useful. I think I am just a little nervous and want the best possible life for my future tortoise!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Jeanna and welcome.
You are very wise to research first so you have everything in place before he arrives.
You won't find any better place than this to find the answers to your questions.
Most of us have looked at other websites or books etc but there is a lot of old information out there, so for up to date information, advice and help from experienced keepers worldwide then look no further.
There may still be some difference of opinions here but you have to apply what you read to your situation and climate etc.
Certainly don't look for answers in Pet Stores as very few of them know much about correctly caring for a tort.
Also check here before buying anything from them because their priority is profit and will often sell unsafe or unsuitable equipment whereas every here is only interested in happy, healthy torts and we could save you a lot of money.
So read the caresheet and Beginners Mistakes to start with and ask as many questions as you like - someone will always get back to you.
Also look at the Enclosures thread to get some great ideas for how to set up your tortoise home.

Chasen

Galveston
Welcome. In my humble opinion, you don't need to go anywhere else but here for information and advice on whichever tort you decide to get.

Cherryman304

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of opinions. I'm not by no means trying to bash anyone. Nothing is really fact when it comes to care sheets. Yes alot of stuff holds true but things can vary quite a bit depending on who you ask. With that said Welcome to TFO and Good Luck!

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum. This is a wonderful place to get lots of valid information from trustworthy sources. Read the sections about the particular type of tortoise you are interested in....lots of great info on feeding, enclosures, care, etc. The experts on here are always more than willing to help.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Welcome to the forum. All the info you will need is posted in our Russian care sheets. If you go to other places, you will get a lot of old outdated material which could cause harm to your baby. We have many experienced breeders and members on this forum that are more them willing to help you. Just read the care sheets and ask questions.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Hi everyone!

My name is Jeanna, and I am new to the Tortoise Forum. I am thinking of getting a Russian, but I have some concerns.

The first thing I noticed was all of the conflicting information on everything from substrate to lighting and soaking. Needless to say, it is easy to get lost in all of the information, but at least here it seems to be more consistent! Where would you suggest is the best place to get reliable information aside from the forum?

I also am adamant about getting captive bred. However, it is difficult to tell whether what people are selling is captive bred or not. What is the best way to confirm that they are captive bred? Who are some reliable breeders of Russians?

As far as finding a captive bred Russian tortoise, it is really quite easy, you must purchase one directly from a reputable breeder. Anything else is a crap shoot. I’d estimate that 99.99% of all Russian tortoises in the US are imported from the high deserts of Central Asia.

drew54

Indiana
Hi everyone!

I studied and researched many many places for over a year. I was very overwhelmed with all the contradictory info when I found this this forum. My advice is to stick with this info and no other. The info comes in one place with some of the best breeders in the world.