Hi! New russian tortoise owner

BirdS24

Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, WA
Hi all! I've come here via google to read up on Russian Tortoises but decided to join today to really get some help. We got our guy just over a week ago and while we don't know too much about him yet, he's been very "lazy". So some info... he was purchased at a place called Tropical Hut, an exotic pet store, mostly reptiles. They recommended the set up he's in now (I wasn't there, my husband took our daughter to get the tort). We live in Vancouver, WA and this is our first tortoise (obviously lol) I'll also attach some pictures so you all can see what we're doing for him right now. We have two heat lamps, one is the combination one and the other is a ceramic coil.
So like I said, he's been pretty lazy...he sleeps all day, sometimes not moving AT ALL. He also hasn't eaten that I've seen since Saturday (today is Monday). We soaked him yesterday in some warm water and he did drink a bit while in there. Today I soaked him again and didn't see him drink any.
We'd love some advice on how we should have him set up and what the enclosure temps/humidity should be at, as we've found lots of confusing and contradictory info online.
We're in the process of finding a vet to just get him checked out and make sure nothing else it wrong as well. Just looking for some advice if there's anything we can do in the mean time to help him and keep him healthy.IMG_2156.JPG IMG_2157.JPG IMG_2158.JPG
Thank you for any info! Look forward to being a part of this group.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
All the info you’ll need is here. Please read these links and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
An adult Russian tortoise like yours needs an enclosure that is 8x4 feet. They don’t really need humidity as adults, as long as they have a damp substrate that they can burrow into to maintain their own microclimate.
You should take the hay out, because Russians are broad leaf weed eaters, not grass eaters.
He needs a basking spot of 100 degrees and a hide on each side+a humid hide.
It’s great that you joined! I know that the minute I joined, I was hooked :)

BirdS24

Vancouver, WA
Welcome to the forum!
All the info you’ll need is here. Please read these links and come back with questions.
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
An adult Russian tortoise like yours needs an enclosure that is 8x4 feet. They don’t really need humidity as adults, as long as they have a damp substrate that they can burrow into to maintain their own microclimate.
You should take the hay out, because Russians are broad leaf weed eaters, not grass eaters.
He needs a basking spot of 100 degrees and a hide on each side+a humid hide.
It’s great that you joined! I know that the minute I joined, I was hooked :)

Thank you! The care sheet I read previously (found through google) but I’m glad to have the other one too!
So is the hay bad for them? We weren’t putting it in thinking he’d eat it, but instead burrow, which he did the first day it was in there but hasn’t since. I’ll get it out of there, but was just curious.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Thank you! The care sheet I read previously (found through google) but I’m glad to have the other one too!
So is the hay bad for them? We weren’t putting it in thinking he’d eat it, but instead burrow, which he did the first day it was in there but hasn’t since. I’ll get it out of there, but was just curious.

It’s not necessarily bad for them, but really the most it will do is mold. Hay molds easily, and doesn’t really allow for any moisture because of that. A good alternative is sphagnum moss, but if he tries to eat it, you should take it out. It’s not toxic, but it might impact him.
Forgot to add, you have a very cute tortoise!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi and welcome. I love the hay too but not if it's going to get mouldy...sphagnum or peat moss is good or just plain old earth.
The tank could use some aquarium paper about half way up the outside around it so he will feel more secure, I think.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! We are glad you are here and asking questions.

I can see you put a lot of effort into it but I’m afraid the enclosure is too small. Don’t feel bad if that’s what the pet store told you; they don’t usually know much about reptiles.

You’ll learn more about enclosures in the care sheet but for right now I can tell you that’s not a good water dish for him. He can’t bend his neck like a lizard or snake can do to reach down into it safely. If it’s still got the price sticker on it, return it! Get a cheap plant terracota saucer that’s big enough for him to walk into and push it into the substrate so that it’s flush with the surface. Russians come from a very dry climate; you may not see them drink often.

Once you’ve read the care sheets, please ask questions in the subforum that is specific to Russians. Folks will want to know more about your enclosure and its various temperatures. I think they will also tell you to get rid of that ceramic coil bulb and replace it with a CHE but I’m not sure on that.