Hi needing information

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOUK

5 Year Member
Hi all, I am new to all this and would like to know as much informations as possible, I have never kept Tortoises before either. I have started to read now so I can then make an informed decision on how to keep them if I do decide I can provide one with the correct home (although looking through this forum is making me want one more) I am from the UK so any information on how you keep yours would be much appreciated, my long term goal would for it to be housed outside the whole time once old enough to do so but need to make sure I can keep an outside shed hot enough all year round.
I have been left totally confused over table/viv so your opinions are needed :)
Also for those that do house outdoors over winter how much average would it cost to keep it at the right temperature over winter? and is it possible to do so?

Thanks in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D. If you are considering a leopard, check out the threads at the bottom of my post. They are all good for leopards. I live in Chicago, and when my leopard gets too big to be inside, in winter I will be housing outside. Winter, Heated large tort house with green house attached. the tort tables seem to be harder to keep temps and humidity. I used plastic totes, coconut coir for substrate, MVB for UVB and heat along with a Che for added heat. Humidifier piped in for keep it humid. The threads below will help you a lot.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
It is pretty easy to house a leo inside. I had the big black plastic tubs they use for mixing concrete. Mine are way too big for that now, so they stay outside in temps above 60 degrees. When it gets colder, I make a 8x8 pen for them in the garage and keep them in there. I'm thinking about making a heated shed outside for them, but I'm really not sure how they will like it, or even if they will go in it on their own.

Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Cold and damp is not good for a leopard. Housing one outdoors in your climate will be difficult and it will likely be cooped up in its shed most of the time. You'd probably be better off building a nice big indoor set up and just putting him out on suitably warm days. That or pick a more suitable species for your climate.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
There are quite a lot of leopard owners in the UK, and some very nice looking leopards there I must say. I'm sorry, I can't think of anyone specific, but if you have some time I would search around the forum and seek those people out. Ask them advice on set-ups if you none of them pop in on this thread.

_simon_

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I'm in the UK. I think you're the person that joined the reptile forum and I suggested you come here?

This is my indoor set up for my little one. You can see him under the basking light on the left. It's 6x3x3 at the moment but it's modular so I can expand it lengthways.
50w Halogen for basking giving a basking temp of 104F, ambient is 80F provided by 2x 250w ceramics on a pulse stat and UV is an Arcadia T5, 12%. I keep humidity around 55 - 60% but also have a humid hide.
20120520_132255.jpg

Our summer has been appalling so far so I've only been able to put my leopard out a handful of times but his current outdoor enclosure is 12' x 6'.
20120526_104028.jpg

I have no firm plan on housing once my leopard is bigger, I'll see how things go as he grows but in all honesty I can't see a leopard kept in this country spending much time out and about. People insulate and heat sheds for them and in this weather that's where they'll be spending all their time! It's probably cheaper and easier to base them indoors and continue to allow them out when weather allows like you would with a little one. That's if you have the space indoors of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.