Hi need help with an I.D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortallylost

5 Year Member
Hi everyone, hope this is okay to post here and if it isn't please help me move along. : )

Last night we picked up this guy, now named Davinci from someone that needed to rehome him. My oldest has been wanting one for years so we thought this would be a good opportunity.

I can't figure out for the life of me what kind it is. They made sure I knew it was a tortoise not a turtle but he has orange stripes on his leg and small splotches on his face. They didn't know his age or anything.

Any insight would be appreciated on what species he is so I can ensure he gets the proper setup for asap. I know the picture isn't the best I can try to get more later when my husband gets home if I need to. I added it as an attachment (hope that's right).

This forum is awesome and I can't wait to find out more and maybe set up an enclosure outside next year. :D

Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
RE: Help Identifying Please

Need pictures

tortallylost

5 Year Member
Hi

Hi everyone, I just signed up because I found every time I tried to look something up about tortoises it brought me here.

We just got a tortoise yesterday and I need to figure out what kind it is in order to get a proper habitat set up for him. He came in a glass aquarium with a warm light and dishes. Pretty sure he needs more starting with UV lights but I want to make sure I am getting the right stuff. I tried to post in general tortoise forum but can't find it. Hope I did it right.

About me; I am an animal loving, student, wife and mother who tries to volunteer in the community. I do artsy craftsy stuff for fun.

Attachments

• Davinci.jpg
    Davinci.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 36

Eweezyfosheezy

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona

Welcome to the forum! The pics didnt show up. Have you tried using tinypic.com

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Hi

It looks like an ornate central american wood turtle, but a better picture would be helpful.

If I'm correct, then they are a land turtle that requires a very moist habitat. I've set them up before with half water/half substrate.

Welcome to the Forum!!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA

I would guess a box turtle of some sort from what you describe... but... pic would help!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan

I too am going to guess that you have a box turtle, but we definitely need pictures ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Hi

Can you hear me now.....er....uh....I mean: See it now???

Davinci.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would agree with the wood turtle guess.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Don't freak tho.. even tho its a Turtle... Its a Land Turtle.. so is treated like a tortoise for the most part... read up on them and care and Diets.. you will be just fine...
and WELCOME to our family!

Status
Not open for further replies.