Hi! Meet the very beautiful Sam!

Reni Rex

Hello! I've just moved to a house in SC with my beloved Josh and we have an awesome 6 year old Sulcata named Sam. She was mainly cared for by Josh's father until now due to his attending university. From what I've read about Sulcata, she may not have been cared for properly and she has had to go through a lot of change the past week.
Before now, she was kept in a tank a little wider than her body and twice as long and taken out for walks in the yard a few days a week for an hour at a time. She doesn't use her back legs properly so we took her to a reptile vet who suggested we attach a temporary wheel to raise them up so she can regain strength in them. Also, she was fed a daily diet of romaine lettuce, sweet potatoes, and a big pile of fruit. We will not be feeding her fruit now. It clearly stated on several care sheets that you should not do that.
We have a big fenced in (wooden fence) back yard where she lives now. She is 25lbs and growing so I made sure to find a place where she can be comfortable. We rid the yard of ants before bringing her here.
Josh has work, so I'm the primary care taker of Sam. I have never had a tortoise before, so this is all very new to me. I've read a few care sheets and lists of okay foods, but other than that I'm a newbie. So ANY advice or notes on what is normal for her would be much appreciated. I usually try to Google my questions, like why is she crying and why is her poop white. I got answers for that but most of the care sheets talk about little baby tortoises and she isn't so little now.
Thanks so much! I look forward to my continued participation in this community and your responses! 1011131535.jpg
Here she is at the father's house before the move. ^

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

What will help those back legs most of all is calcium-rich foods and plenty of sunshine. I just love the spurs on the front legs.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. I just glad that now you are having her. Looks like you will have or already have done lots reading under the Sulcata section.

Keep on read it and have fun.

Reni Rex

Thank you! I am so gad to have her out of that tank and able to move around!

lendube

5 Year Member
San Diego Mtns.
She's a lucky and beautiful girl. How nice of you to care about her. Welcome. I'm very new here and to tortoises myself.