Hi!! Looking for suggestions!!

mikaylasii

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville
Hi, I am new to this and was look for advice for my Russian Tortoise!! I recently have got him and have only had him for a couple days. I have been feeding him mustard greens and carrots, as this is what my research has said is okay. I’m looking for suggestions so he may live his best life! I’d really appreciate it!
24BCA7ED-D9B8-4A59-9E6E-871AFDE81449.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
There is a lot of old and incorrect information on the internet. This forum is full of up to date advice from people with years of experience, some of whom have been involved in research, so make this your first port of call if you need help and advice with any aspect of tort keeping.
Please look for the caresheet for Russian torts in the Species Specific threads.
That will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity, lighting and substrate etc.
The Enclosures thread will give you ideas for housing and the Beginners Mistakes thread will help you avoid common problems.
I think you need to change your torts diet and give him much more variety as soon as possible, so read the caresheet and also look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk which is a good guide for safe plants to feed tortoises and will also tell you what to avoid.
Your enclosure looks a bit small - so maybe try to find something with more space for him and Russians like to dig so maybe add more moistened substrate. I would also change his water dish for something easier and safer for him to access Many of us use terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate. They aren't as slippery and there's less risk of torts tipping backwards and drowning or getting stuck on their backs.
Feel free to ask anything as there is usually someone here who can help or point you in the right direction. We've all needed advice and had to make changes for the better.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In the course of doing research you found and read the wrong info. Carrots are not good Russian tortoise food, and mustard greens are okay once in a while.

Those ramped water bowls are tortoise death traps and you should remove that ASAP.

Those tortoise enclosures are not good for any species of tortoise at any size. They are way too small for an adult Russian.

Here is the care info you need: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Questions are welcome.

mikaylasii

Louisville
In the course of doing research you found and read the wrong info. Carrots are not good Russian tortoise food, and mustard greens are okay once in a while.

Those ramped water bowls are tortoise death traps and you should remove that ASAP.

Those tortoise enclosures are not good for any species of tortoise at any size. They are way too small for an adult Russian.

Here is the care info you need: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/the-best-way-to-raise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

Questions are welcome.
Thank you so much!!!

mikaylasii

Louisville

Questions are welcome.
Is there a specific food you’d recommend more? I feel bad for giving him carrots now! What would you suggest and I cannot afford a bigger enclosure at the
moment because I am a college student!

mikaylasii

Louisville
Hi and welcome,
There is a lot of old and incorrect information on the internet. This forum is full of up to date advice from people with years of experience, some of whom have been involved in research, so make this your first port of call if you need help and advice with any aspect of tort keeping.
Please look for the caresheet for Russian torts in the Species Specific threads.
That will tell you all about diet, temps, humidity, lighting and substrate etc.
The Enclosures thread will give you ideas for housing and the Beginners Mistakes thread will help you avoid common problems.
I think you need to change your torts diet and give him much more variety as soon as possible, so read the caresheet and also look at www.thetortoisetable.org.uk which is a good guide for safe plants to feed tortoises and will also tell you what to avoid.
Your enclosure looks a bit small - so maybe try to find something with more space for him and Russians like to dig so maybe add more moistened substrate. I would also change his water dish for something easier and safer for him to access Many of us use terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate. They aren't as slippery and there's less risk of torts tipping backwards and drowning or getting stuck on their backs.
Feel free to ask anything as there is usually someone here who can help or point you in the right direction. We've all needed advice and had to make changes for the better.
Do you have any food you’d suggest more than the other. I am a college student and can’t spend a lot of money on a lot of things. I mostly buy from the grocery...I feel bad that I’m not treating him fairly

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is there a specific food you’d recommend more? I feel bad for giving him carrots now! What would you suggest and I cannot afford a bigger enclosure at the
moment because I am a college student!
Lots of foods recommended in here:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Do you have any food you’d suggest more than the other. I am a college student and can’t spend a lot of money on a lot of things. I mostly buy from the grocery...I feel bad that I’m not treating him fairly
Use the caresheet and links you've been given as your guide. Weeds are a great sources of free foods but you have to be able to ID the safe weeds so use The Tortoise Table for that as they have a data base with pictures.